• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Differences between PA 101A and PA 101E SWO programs

netbookser

Hello, I'm 26 years old, American, with a Computer Science Bachelors degree from a foreign University (Ecuador) (Accredited) (3.1 GPA) and almost 3 years working in the US (Cloud Computing). I just took the OAR and got a 56 score. My long term objective is to be an Engineering Duty Officer but first I want to be part of the SWO community living on a ship. My interest is on these two programs:
Both of them seem very similar so I wanted to know which are the practical differences between these. And which of these works best if I want to attend the Naval construction/engineering program at MIT.

Also for PA 101A do I study a Masters before performing SWO or is after SWO, and if that is the case then what type of preparation do SWO Officer receive?

If you were on my position which of these two would you recommend?

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Others will certainly know better, but it looks to me like the 101A model goes right to steam gauges and wrench turning whereas the 101E model has you earn some above deck boat driver cred before you get locked away “down there.”

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Hello, I'm 26 years old, American, with a Computer Science Bachelors degree from a foreign University (Ecuador) (Accredited) (3.1 GPA) and almost 3 years working in the US (Cloud Computing). I just took the OAR and got a 56 score. My long term objective is to be an Engineering Duty Officer but first I want to be part of the SWO community living on a ship. My interest is on these two programs:
Both of them seem very similar so I wanted to know which are the practical differences between these. And which of these works best if I want to attend the Naval construction/engineering program at MIT.

Also for PA 101A do I study a Masters before performing SWO or is after SWO, and if that is the case then what type of preparation do SWO Officer receive?

Being that you took the OAR, I am assuming you spoke to an officer recruiter. Have you asked them these specific questions?

A 3.1 GPA is definitely on the lower end in terms of the SWO-ED options.

netbookser

Thank you for your quick responses @Griz882 and @FormerRecruitingGuru

I haven't asked for these specific questions I talked to officer recruiter but he told me to wait for my Consular Report of birth abroad and the transcripts of the Bachelors Degree to start the recruiting process. (Hopefully 6 weeks)

@FormerRecruitingGuru is there anything you would recommend to do in the coming 2 months to make my application more competitive with my 3.1 GPA? (I asked this question to the recruiter and he said enjoy your time)

As extras I have:
  • Skydiver license A
  • Japanese JLPT N4
  • Spanish

exNavyOffRec

You may or may not have seen this but for PA 101E that is for those that go SWO and then want to convert to EDO as here is what it says for the accession source.
1721337216691.png
If you saw that and your intention is to go straight SWO then apply to convert to EDO be aware that nothing is guaranteed.

The other PA is where you are guaranteed to go from SWO to EDO, with that one be aware that those spots are a few each year.

Make sure to ask your recruiter pointed and specific questions about any designator you want to go into.

netbookser

You may or may not have seen this but for PA 101E that is for those that go SWO and then want to convert to EDO as here is what it says for the accession source.
View attachment 40896
If you saw that and your intention is to go straight SWO then apply to convert to EDO be aware that nothing is guaranteed.

The other PA is where you are guaranteed to go from SWO to EDO, with that one be aware that those spots are a few each year.

Make sure to ask your recruiter pointed and specific questions about any designator you want to go into.
Thank you very much for your response @exNavyOffRec, that makes a huge difference, the devil is in the details, I'll make sure to strive for the PA 101A and use the PA 101E or pure SWO as backup plans.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Thank you for your quick responses @Griz882 and @FormerRecruitingGuru

I haven't asked for these specific questions I talked to officer recruiter but he told me to wait for my Consular Report of birth abroad and the transcripts of the Bachelors Degree to start the recruiting process. (Hopefully 6 weeks)

@FormerRecruitingGuru is there anything you would recommend to do in the coming 2 months to make my application more competitive with my 3.1 GPA? (I asked this question to the recruiter and he said enjoy your time)

As extras I have:
  • Skydiver license A
  • Japanese JLPT N4
  • Spanish

None of those things really matter for SWO-EDO. Degree, GPA, and OAR score are going to be the biggest metrics.