• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Differences between Waist and Bow cats..........

Screamtruth

นักมวย
New site looks great.

Been a while.

Are there differences in lengths between the waist and the bow catapults?

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
On Kennedy, Cat 3 was 210 ft, 30' longer than the others. But it was also warped and was apparently "interesting" to ride.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
On CVN (68 and above ) they are the exact same catapults above and below decks (some CVNs have fat cats with lower steam psi). Cat 4 has some tricky elements to it and is not the best cat for props.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
On CVN (68 and above ) they are the exact same catapults above and below decks (some CVNs have fat cats with lower steam psi). Cat 4 has some tricky elements to it and is not the best cat for props.

How so, if you don't mind explaining?

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
How so what in particular? that cat 4 is tricky or that the cats are identical from bow to waist?

MasterBates

Not a shooter, but I always feel like I am going to be taxiied over the side on Cat-4 trying to get lined up. It also feels a bit odd at the end.. I'm not sure if it's because the right wing is in ground effect and the left is not..

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
SCB27 Boats used to have the same CATs -- obviously -- whether they were hydraulic (27 ALPHA) or steam CATs (27 CHARLIEs).

Ditto for the INDY, RANGER, CONNIE and The HAWK --
all CATs the same -- and I would assume SARA and FORRESTAL as well, but I'm not certain as I've never set foot on those two. MIDWAY and CORAL MARU -- don't know. If there are any differences, I'm sure they're fractional, just a few feet, as the idea was to be able to launch any and all birds in an expeditious, timely fashion. If you had many restrictions on which aircraft could use which CAT because of differing CAT lengths and capabilities -- it would create havoc on the deck while getting a large launch airborne ...

Having said that ..... ** No turboprops used to be launched from the waist CATs while JETS/TURBOs were on CAT 2 and/or basically spotted for launch and turning up anywhere as the fear was hot exhaust gases might be ingested into the turbo engine(s) during launch -- that could be a bad day -- and the restriction used to be a CV NATOPS WARNING

Here's a shot of my first night CQ BOAT -- steam CATs after her 27C conversions, and accompanied by the ... *gasp* USS Manatee ... !!!

I liked CAT 3 or 4 during day launches -- no problem -- much 'smarter' clearing turn was possible than off CAT 1 or 2. I did NOT like taxiing over to CAT 4 when the deck was wet or on a black-ass night or when the ship was in a starboard turn, as you could easily skid on the rubber buildup on the deck and metal portions of the CAT tracks. Even if you didn't 'slip' ... it still felt uncomfortable at night ...
:)

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
5814_101258929887271_100000094948238_39344_6403610_n.jpg

Cat 4 is the only cat in centerline with the ship on the Nimitz class.... don't know if that changes thing for you MB. For jets, certain ordnance cannot be hung on the left wing when using Cat 4. There isn't sufficient clearance for certain ordnance. CAG gunner gives a list of those aircraft to the Handler before that event. For shooting props on cat 4, when the shooter is topside, the centerdeck hatch must be closed down and the Aviation Boatswains Mate sitting in the hatch has to disconnect their sound powered phone, wrench the hatch shut and find somewhere to stand. The tower must then let the shooter know if launch winds go below suspend. It's a CF of an evolution topside. If the shooter is doing the bubble thing, then not so bad for props. I guess tricky for the flight deck if shooting topside. See attached pic of shooter, flight deck crew and center deck hatch on the waist. A prop would take that hatch off (or maybe the hatch would take the prop off). Cat 4 is behind the shooter in the pic.

It's also a beyotch shooting cat 4 past catapult 3. Space is at a premium over there and certain a/c on cat 4 can't be shot past 3 unless the a/c on 3 is folded, etc.

Shoot off the bow. It's good to go up there, but usually stacked. 3 is the war catapult.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor

Having said that ..... ** No turboprops used to be launched from the waist CATs while JETS/TURBOs were on CAT 2 and/or basically spotted for launch and turning up anywhere as the fear was hot exhaust gases might be ingested into the turbo engine(s) during launch -- that could be a bad day -- and the restriction used to be a CV NATOPS WARNING

As of last year, that was still the case, A4s.