• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Dillemma

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmiller82

This was previously posted in the OCS section of the forum:

I have a bit of a problem.. I have been working on an OCS Application package since around the 24th of July.. I submitted initially for Intel, got non-selected and was told to resubmit for SNFO, which I hadn't really gave any thought to. After three months (not sure exactly what took so long to submit), my package was resubmitted with my 1st Pref as SNFO. Today, I received a call from the recruiter stating I had been Pro-Rec'd for SNFO and I would need to prepare some documents for Final Select (FINDOCS). I am very excited about this and can't wait to finish the EPSQ and all other necessary documents (did I just say that?!)..
However, because of the length of time that the NRD had taken (and the reluctance to get it done quickly and way they treated me), I was told to check into the Army OCS program by a family friend. I have pursued an application with the Army for OCS and I have a date with the interview board (the Army sits you in front of a three officer panel and determines then and there your future as an OCS candidate) on July 12th. I am currently undergoing MEPS (tomorrow actually ) and then I will have completed my requirements and documents to be processed. I am told that within 72 hours (by July 16th), I will know whether or not the Army has accepted me as an officer candidate. My problem, however, is that I have been contacted by my Navy recruiter now and been told that it would be around mid July before I would probably hear back from a Final Select board for Aviation. What are my options in terms of delaying my swearing in for the Army (assuming I'm selected) and waiting for the Navy to go ahead with a Final Select? Also, if I waited until the next board with the Army, it wouldn't hurt.. Any tips or advice on how to let the recruiter (Army)know that I want some time to think over the results of a decision that will impact the next 4 years of my life, maybe even longer? My wife and family agree that the Navy (NFO) would provide a more solid background for a family and possibly kids in the future, as opposed to being an Infantry Officer in the Army. Don't get me wrong - the idea of being a platoon leader in the Infantry seems very appealing..

The next post is as follows:

My reluctance to jump right back into the NFO (Navy Recruiting) route is only because it took 7 months for my recruiter to "send" my application packet. It was my first choice, and I had all of my paperwork ready when he said he needed it. The OPO and my recruiter were both retiring within a month of my application packet's submission to CNRC, hence their reluctance to send it. They were probably exploring other civilian career options (rightfully so, I guess).
Anyway, my dillema now, however, is that I need to "postpone" or let the Army recruiter know that I want to sit before the interview board at a later date (in the hopes that my Navy packet is finished or final selected by mid July). These guys at the Army station, however, are chomping at the bit and are ready to get their credit for pushing me through the gauntlet of Army OCS recruiting (they've been great). I just feel like a jerk for doing that to them.. However, IT IS MY LIFE, not just some recruiting bonus that I'M WORRIED ABOUT, so that is how I will sleep at night! Any advice or tips on what excuses I could use to tell the Army I need to postpone my date (mid July) with the Interview Board? I know that they already know about the Navy, but they think the Navy is just blowing smoke and trying to get me back on board.. They have no idea how the Navy OCS process goes. I was thinking of just saying I'm just not ready for it, or saying I couldn't make that date do to a family problem or crisis. Anyway, any advice or insight into this would be greatly appreciated..

Status
Not open for further replies.