• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Direct Commission (HR Officer) Advice

GBpackers27

Hey all,

I've been reading through some of these threads the past few days as I prepare to possibly start my work on a packet for a Direct Commission as an HR Officer, and I wanted to ask for any advice for anyone who has been through the process (or anyone who knows of someone who has). I have a solid understanding of the references, the interviewing with officers, and the personal statement, but what else (if anything) am I missing?

For background: I have been working in HR (on the Benefits side for a larger employer) for nearly 7 years, have a Bachelor's (3.6 GPA) and Master's (4.0 GPA) in an unrelated field and a multitude of different credentials including a PHR (Professional in Human Resources).

I firmly understand the process requires a significant degree of paperwork and, obviously, the program is highly competitive as it should be. Any advice/insight etc. is appreciated!

Thank you!

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Hey all,

I've been reading through some of these threads the past few days as I prepare to possibly start my work on a packet for a Direct Commission as an HR Officer, and I wanted to ask for any advice for anyone who has been through the process (or anyone who knows of someone who has). I have a solid understanding of the references, the interviewing with officers, and the personal statement, but what else (if anything) am I missing?

For background: I have been working in HR (on the Benefits side for a larger employer) for nearly 7 years, have a Bachelor's (3.6 GPA) and Master's (4.0 GPA) in an unrelated field and a multitude of different credentials including a PHR (Professional in Human Resources).

I firmly understand the process requires a significant degree of paperwork and, obviously, the program is highly competitive as it should be. Any advice/insight etc. is appreciated!

Thank you!

1205 HR DCO is a fairly competitive program. Usually about 50 or so folks apply for about 5ish quotas annually, though recently that number has gone up a little bit. However, that doesn't really change the competitiveness of the applicant pool.

A standard applicant has the HR certification (which you have), HR-desired masters degree (which you don't have), and HR-desired work experience which includes leadership (which you barely have). A competitive applicant exceeds all of that. While I do agree benefits is part of HR, it is not the complete picture which is what is desired by the 1205 community. Think: HR Manager, Director, etc. which have both the complete HR experience as well as leadership leading teams.

I am not saying don't waste your time but I would say you are not fitting the mold of a standard/competitive applicant.

GBpackers27

Thank you for the insight! I really do appreciate it. All very fair points! I am a manager on the benefits side of HR with direct leadership responsibility (personnel and budget) and do also have oversight on quite a few strategic priorities within the collaborative space of HR, but I 100% understand this could be less than desirable/fringe relative to a broader HR role.

All great information, thank you!

Hair Warrior

Contributor
HR officers in the Navy do not have any say in sailors’ benefits - that is all from Congress.

I echo the sentiment that your experience doesn’t quite translate/ doesn’t make you overly competitive in a competitive field.

If I were in your shoes, I’d consider:
1. Enlisting in the USNR as a PS or YN
2. Earning your master’s degree
3. Switching from your current private sector job to a contractor or civilian job supporting a DoD manpower or admin office, e.g. an N1/J1/G1/A1 staff at a large command, or some DoD/federal office with similar responsibility
4. Earning basic cybersecurity certifications, data security, and/or technical expertise in HR software tools

GBpackers27

Thank you!
HR officers in the Navy do not have any say in sailors’ benefits - that is all from Congress.

I echo the sentiment that your experience doesn’t quite translate/ doesn’t make you overly competitive in a competitive field.

If I were in your shoes, I’d consider:
1. Enlisting in the USNR as a PS or YN
2. Earning your master’s degree
3. Switching from your current private sector job to a contractor or civilian job supporting a DoD manpower or admin office, e.g. an N1/J1/G1/A1 staff at a large command, or some DoD/federal office with similar responsibility
4. Earning basic cybersecurity certifications, data security, and/or technical expertise in HR software tools