• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Distinguished Flying Cross and Navy Cross

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
I know there are 2 reccomendations for the Medal of Honor in the current campaign in Iraq, but does anyone know if anyone has been reccomended for or awarded either the Distinguished Flying Cross or the Navy Cross in our engagements in Iraq and Afghanistan? I'd love to read their stories. If not, does anyone know when the last Distinguished Flying Cross was awarded? If anyone has any info on this, please send me the links, I'd love to read about the heroics.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was in the ready room when a DFC was awarded, they are out there. Sorry cant give name or details.

DanMa1156

pilot
Contributor
Good articles. Thanks everyone. Quick question, why do the pilot and RIO have different colors on the ribbon part of the medal? I noticed the pilot has a Red, white, and blue one while the RIO has different shades of blue and white on his. Anyone know? Thanks again everyone.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
header_medal.jpg

header_metal2.jpg
There's only ONE, Bro'

Unfortunately, the government has not kept a cumulative record of DFC recipients, therefore no one knows how many have been awarded or to whom. We do know that the first Distinguished Flying Cross medal was given to Charles Lindbergh in 1927 by President Coolidge. Other "distinguished" early aviators to receive the award were Commander Richard Byrd USN and Amelia Earhart. The DFC can be awarded for achievements in aviation or for heroism in aerial combat.

DanMa1156

pilot
Contributor
A4's

I saw that website, the DFC (association? foundation? I can't recall) and it showed 3 different variants right below. (Maybe I'm thinking of the wrong site... err) Anyways, just look at the picture in the navy article, it looks like the NFO has a ribbon color. Anyways, I'm probably just seening things and continuing being a complete nub, and for that I apologize. Either way, keep the articles coming.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
DanMav1156 said:
Good articles. Thanks everyone. Quick question, why do the pilot and RIO have different colors on the ribbon part of the medal? I noticed the pilot has a Red, white, and blue one while the RIO has different shades of blue and white on his. Anyone know? Thanks again everyone.

Like one has a blue ribon and the other a purple. I see it too.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
medal_obverse.gif
The ribbon has a narrow red center stripe, flanked on either side by a thin white stripe, a wide stripe of dark blue, a narrow white stripe and narrow dark blue at the edge of the ribbon.

Com'on, guys --- its the camera angle/lighting. You gonna believe me or your lyin' eyes???

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Only one DFC...only difference is whether awarded with aCombat V or not.

My father in law earned two DFCs for his actions while flying AC-47 gun ships at night during the vietnam war.

A4s will remember Spooky. aka Puff.

r/
G

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Schnuggapup said:
My father in law earned two DFCs for his actions while flying AC-47 gun ships at night during the vietnam war.

A4s will remember Spooky. aka Puff.
My God, does that mean I'm old enough to be your father-in-law ??? Hand salute to your Dad-in-law .....

The United States Air Force flew its AC-47 gun ships in Vietnam while utilizing the call sign "Spooky." With 200,000 candle power flares to light up the night and 3 mini-guns each able to spit out 6,000 rounds per minute (every 4th one a red tracer), small wonder that captured Viet Cong (VC) and North Vietnamese Army (NVA) documents referred to the "Dragon's" reputation, and contained orders specifically to "not attack the Dragon because it would only infuriate the monster."

The famed AC-47 gunship, mounting three Gatling guns on the port side, was the forerunner of the larger Lockheed AC-130 Spectre Gunships, which were used previously in Vietnam and Panama, and are being utilized today in Afghanistan and Iraq -- and other places .... if you make "Uncle" mad.

spooky2.jpg
puff-dragonac47.jpg

gatling_w.gif
minigun-working.jpg

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
They are right to my knowledge atleast, just the one type. I have my grandfathers with me now (which looks like the ones posted). It also comes with a decoration (ribbon) of the same color pattern.

I was surprised to find out that the government doesnt keep track of all of the DFCs issued. So they dont know how many are awarded, nor exactly who they were awarded to. Obviously if they went record by record they could figure it out, but I doubt that will ever happen.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
The SecAF is a civilian--doesn't have to PT. I was there, and yes, Dr. Roche is quite a large man.

Status
Not open for further replies.