• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Do I have a chance?

steresi17

Here's my dilemma....I am in the Air Force and have been on active duty status for over 9 years. I am trying to become an officer in the Navy, however, I seem to lack tremendously in the ASTB area. I have taken it twice and got a 33 the first time (yeah, I know--embarrassing) and a 35 the second time (. I actually studied a lot the second time I took it and still did horrible.

I have my undergraduate degree in Business Management with a 3.68 GPA and I just graduated with my Master's degree in Aeronautical Science Specializing in safety with a 4.0. I have never in my life though been able to succeed at taking tests such as the ASTB.

I have great recommendation letters, a good GPA, and have 9 years prior service. Since my ASTB score is so low the only job I can apply for is supply. I have to turn my package in soon because I am going to be 32 years old in February, which would make me too old.

Help!!! Does anyone have any advice?

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
My advice...turn in your package.
Your chances are zero if you don't apply.

BackOrdered

Contributor
I agree. If it is worth your time, submit the package you have an see what happens. If it doesn't work then you know what must be done. There are plenty of great resources on this site to help you out with improving your score. You may also want to try getting the Acro book from B&N. It has practice tests and many questions similar to what you will encounter on the test. I wish you the best of luck because other than that, you have a very respectable package (I envy anyone who applies and already has a masters).

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Here's my dilemma....I am in the Air Force and have been on active duty status for over 9 years. I am trying to become an officer in the Navy, however, I seem to lack tremendously in the ASTB area. I have taken it twice and got a 33 the first time (yeah, I know--embarrassing) and a 35 the second time (. I actually studied a lot the second time I took it and still did horrible.

I have my undergraduate degree in Business Management with a 3.68 GPA and I just graduated with my Master's degree in Aeronautical Science Specializing in safety with a 4.0. I have never in my life though been able to succeed at taking tests such as the ASTB.

I have great recommendation letters, a good GPA, and have 9 years prior service. Since my ASTB score is so low the only job I can apply for is supply. I have to turn my package in soon because I am going to be 32 years old in February, which would make me too old.

Help!!! Does anyone have any advice?

Not knowing anything else besides what is posted I believe your chances are very slim. Still, knowing all there is about your application, if the recruiter will forward it, then give it a shot. Good luck.

phrogpilot73

Not knowing anything else besides what is posted I believe your chances are very slim. Still, knowing all there is about your application, if the recruiter will forward it, then give it a shot. Good luck.
Chances are very slim? You mean with regards to getting into the Navy as a pilot/NFO, right?!? I would hardly call his chances slim for getting a comission... After all, I had a whopping 2.65 GPA for undergrad, and I still got comissioned...

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Chances are very slim? You mean with regards to getting into the Navy as a pilot/NFO, right?!? I would hardly call his chances slim for getting a comission... After all, I had a whopping 2.65 GPA for undergrad, and I still got comissioned...

Not in the last five years you didn't. You do bring up a good point for all to remember. People like you, and me, likely would not be selected in today's super competitive environment. Yet, we have both done pretty well for ourselves. Got the wings, put in some real good years, made some rank. So just because a guy does not meet the current competitive standards does not mean he doesn't have all the stuff truly needed to get a commission and have a successful military career. No one should consider themselves some kind of loser because they had a bad year in college or can't take standardized tests well enough for the Navy. In another era, that same guy might have become a General or Admiral.