• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Do I have a prayer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eaneal

Hello all. I recently discovered this site and already I know its going to be a very valuable resource.

I have already graduated with a Bachelors of Science in Business Administration and a Computer Information Systems major but have only recently began researching a Navy Aviator career (I was not in the ROTC or anything like that). In fact I have not even seen a recruiter yet - I have an appointment for Monday.

I am having trouble finding a good summary of what it takes to get into OCS. Sure, the requirements are out there, but what are the admissions people really looking for? I graduated with only a 2.984 gpa and did not participate in any extra-curriculars, but might they consider the fact that I was taking care of a family (I am married and have a son) for the last 3 years of school and working full time for the last 2? Is having a couple of years of professional private sector employment going to play a role?

I am SIGNIFICANTLY out of shape (working a desk job that you hate will do that to you) and so I am not expecting to apply anytime soon, but I want to spend this time doing anything possible to improve my chances. In fact, I am seriously considering leaving my 45k/year job for a $7/hr manual labor gig to help get me back into shape (but only with my wife's permission, of course; luckily, she is as excited about this as I am).

Any comments, suggestions, tips, or references to good resources will be greatly appreciated, especially from those who went/are going a similar route as myself. Also, does anyone know how many applications for pilots slots are received versus how many slots are available per year?

Thanks, and I look forward to becoming part of this community,
eaneal

vballindaytona

Hello Eaneal,

Welcome to the site. From what you have said I think that your mind is already made up on what your about to do. I say go for it, I graduated w/ a 2.95 GPA and got a flight spot, so don't worry about that. As for getting in shape, you do have to pass the physical fitness test before you send your "package" off to Tenn to be a Naval Aviatior, so get started on that right away. Since you said you have time and your worried about extra curricular activities or lack thereof, why not join a local sports league or something like that. It will also help you get back in shape, killing two birds w/ one stone.

Also if you are a member of a church, why not help out w/ the kids, or bible study, etc. I know our church has basketball every Wed., that could be an "extra curricular" activity that you could put down on the application. Don't quit your good paying job and go to 7 bucks an hour, just to get in shape, you CAN get in shape where you are, even if it means walking 30 min w/ your wife around the neighborhood before going to bed. hey its a start. I went through the whole thing your going through when i was starting the process, if i quit this job ill have more time to workout, if i move back to TX, ill have this and that. Honestly, they were all excuses that lead to further procrastination. If your interested about aviation, take a few flying lessons, get a membership to AOPA (airline opeaters and pilots association), all these are extras that you can put on your application that look good.

Just go for it, I think the motivation is already there. GoodLuck.

Jonathan

Edited by - vballindaytona on 05/03/2002 00:31:52

vballindaytona

michael, take that shit off your application. lol. but then again, once you become a CFI its mandatory that you become an alcoholic. seriously, its part of the checkride, shit, the DE's are the worst of em ;)

later

Paul Burke

Just like Michael said, the GPA isn't important when you have valid reasons for it being low. Family is a valid reason. So is a lot of extra curricular stuff. I am graduating with a 2.3 gpa. All the Navy asks for is a 2.0. I got a pilot slot with it. That's all that matters.

eaneal

Thanks for the responses, you have made me feel a little better about my chances.

vballindaytona,
I will certianly look into joining/getting involved with anything I can before I apply, but do you have to put dates for these things on the application? I ask because I am wondering if it will look funny that all of this activity began only 6 months before I applied. Not that it matters, I guess, it certainly can't hurt me at all. I know that thinking of quiting my job may seem extreme, but I have a lot of weight to lose and walking seems kind of like trying to put out a fire with a paper cup.

Michael,
I wish I could ride my bike to work because thats about as fun as exercise gets for me, but I am afraid the 45 mile ride might kill me before it shapes me up :). I'm actually not all that worried about getting into shape. I know it will be very hard, but I also know I can do it. I am just trying to think of ways to get it done as fast as reasonably possible, so as to get this ball rolling. And you are absolutely right about this forum. I was on here for about 6 hours last night and learned a lot. Good resources like this are priceless!

Matt,
Thanks for your words of encouragement. It means a lot to hear it from someone who's 'been there.' But, we weren't actually anticipating that big of a pay cut. Let me know if I'm off-base here, but here is what our thinking has been: A newly commissioned Ensign makes around $25,000/yr plus approximately $10,000/yr in BAS and BAH depending on where he/she is stationed. By the time you account for the $5000/yr for private-sector health insurance and tax savings, it should be pretty close. Money is in no way going to be a deciding factor, we are young and do not own a house, so we can make do, but it is nice to know what to plan for.

Again, thanks everyone. Sorry I ramble on, I don't mean to waste anyone's time, I am just so damn excited!

Dave Shutter

Hey eaneal, welcome to the forum, sounds like your in the shoes I was in a year or two ago. I went through a long app process. I had to test a couple times (suck at math) got sidelined for a year with knee surgery which required not only a long time of recovery and working back up on my run time but a med-waiver as well. I was an old, Liberal Arts major (tough first year at school condemned me to a cum' GPA of less than 3.00) with less than impressive PRT and test scores who needed two waivers, but the last FY being what it was I met all the quals and they took me. I'm proof you can get it if you want it. Granted some things may make it impossible: vision, anthro's and med' issues, but if none of this applies to you then there's no reason you can't get in.
BTW: I had little extra-curricular activities, I worked mostly, no clubs and no school offices held.

Your degrees are good to go. They like tech degrees but business degrees are looked highly upon as well. I studied Filmmaking! Remember, they're hiring people to be managers as well as systems operators. Your PRT scores are important in your app as well but work on it and you shouldn't have trouble. TIP: skip the fancy gym machines and jazzercise tapes, just do the push-ups, sit-ups and run. If weight's an issue then swim on top of running, you need to be good at that too. You can double your # of sit/push-ups in about two weeks in you do about a hundred a day, as long as it takes to do 'em. I've heard debates over cycling as a substitute for running but nothing prepares you for the regular stress of running than actually doing it. In OCS you're about 20x more likely to have trouble with shin-splints and fractures than from anything else, and stay off the rubberized turf track! Run on asphalt! That's all you run on in OCS pretty much.

On the app' they more or less want well rounded people. Having had a real job, lived on your own, and had adult responsibilities are huge plus's so forget the myths about the Navy wanting only single, young Mav' types for pilots.

Score well on the ASTB, and do good on the PRT and as long as you don't have any med' issues I don't see a problem with you getting in, really.

I work in a recruiters office now so I'll fins out how many pilot slots they have to fill this year, the ammount determines how selective they are generally. If you have any questions, or think you may not be getting straight talk from your guys, then drop me a line: dlshutter2002@yahoo.com.au

Good luck!

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Eaneal,

Welcome to the site, and it sounds like everyone has hit all the high points that came to my mind.

Only two points stand out to me that I would probably hit on, first, build that work out routine around the exercises you will be performing for the PRT, just as was mentioned earlier in these posts. Work on the mile and a half run, the push ups, and the situps. Its funny the people that work out year round, then when the PRT comes around every 6 months take a beating on one of the exercises because they haven't been practicing them! Just as you mentioned yourself, the time to start is now, while you still have the time, and not two weeks before you have to take the PRT.

Second, as Matt mentioned, the support from your wife and family is something that can really be important in your upcoming training. From the beginning of working out together or getting the encouragement from her, to reading/memorizing checklists with your spouse, to your spouse supporting you a 110% through all the hurdles you have to go through, that will make the path to the wings of gold so much easier. Sounds like you have that already, but it isn't just YOU going through flight school, it is you and your spouse. I know my wife made flight school, and even now back in the fleet again, upgrading in my platform and on deployment that much easier.

Anyways, enough said, and best of luck!

ghost_ttu

quote:
Eaneal-

As far as school goes I was almost the same boat you are. I had a MIS degree (as second degree in MGT) but with a higher GPA. I have a pretty good seat right now so you can do it. Taking care of a family while at school will have a big influence on your application. Include it!! That is huge.

Don't forget your work experience especially now that you are making the big bucks. That will count for a lot too.

Start getting in shape now. There is no reason to quite a job just to get in shape. Might as well make the big bucks, buy a membership at a gym or just get up an hour earlier go running in the morning while doig push-ups and sit-ups.

Glad to hear that your wife is enthused about your joining. Just tell her to be prepared for a big pay cut!!

Matt

I'm supposed to hear in the next couple weeks if I get a slot. My recruiter has told me that he has never had anyone denied (because he doesn't submit people that won't get accepted) so I feel good about it. But I have a 2.5 gpa, and he said basically same thing Matt said "2.0" "If the minimum wasn't good enough then it wouldn't be the minimum" (Although, I'm at the minimum because last week they changed requirements to 2.5 minimum) And the fact that I'm making $70K/year at Southwest Airlines, my recruiter said he thinks they might have enough of a sense of humour to watch my pains when I take the paycut *laughs* Do what you love, forget the money! As far as getting in shape, I dropped 20lbs in 2 months by just stopping the beer (ouch) and cokes, and eating protein and green veg. and I didn't workout. Just food for thought.

eaneal

Saw my recruiter Monday and the biggest revelation I got was that both grades from repeated courses are counted. I haven't figured this up yet, but..... Ouch.....

Ghish

I thought that was common practice in colleges. In my school taking the same course more than once doesn't replace the old/previous score.

ghost_ttu

At Texas Tech, you have your cumulative GPA, and you have your Adjusted GPA. The cumulative is all of your classes (even retaken) and your adjusted is your gpa with respect to replaced classes. I have a 2.4 cumulative, and a 2.5 adjusted (I know that sucks right *laughs*) But my recruiter said that I was still considered to have a 2.5. Doesn't really matter because mine was grandfathered into the 2.0 requirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.