• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Do I Have Any Other Options?

I know this has probably been addressed many times. But I still have not received any sound advice or information.

I was recently DQ’d from being a pilot in the Navy due to anthro measurements. I am already stationed at the schoolhouse and was getting ready to start schooling. I am now redesignating to another designator.

I know it’s cliche, but being a military pilot was a dream for me. It was my number one goal in life. I had been selected for pilot and been thinking it was going to happen for two years now.

Is there ANYTHING, literally anything, I can do to be a military pilot? If not, any guidance or feedback or help regarding picking another designator would be great. My options are intel, crypto, oceano, SWO, SUBS, medical service corps, HR, aviation duty maintenance officer, NFO (only for p-8s and e-6s), and some others.

If I can’t be a pilot, then I’m looking for something that is that rewarding. Some of the jobs just seem mind numbing and I need some help finding direction.

Last edited:

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Is there ANYTHING, literally anything, I can do to be a military pilot? If not, any guidance or feedback or help regarding picking another designator would be great. My options are intel, crypto, oceano, SWO, SUBS, medical service corps, HR, aviation duty maintenance officer, NFO (only for p-8s and e-6s) which is not enjoyable at all, and some others.

If I can’t be a pilot, then I’m looking for something that is that rewarding. Some of the jobs just seem mind numbing and I need some help finding direction.

Any one of those jobs can be rewarding, frankly it is all a matter of whether or not you make them so. At this point it depends on what your interests are, if you are at all interested in intelligence then Intel and Crypto would be interesting choices that you can make a lifelong career. If you will want to be a URL SWO and subs are still an option though they have plenty of minuses along with the pluses. HR and Medical Service Corps would likely provide you with some career options in those areas post-Navy as well if that is a goal. If you have the education, Oceanography could be really interesting.

Finally, if you are still interested in aviation NFO is an excellent way to go even if you fly P-8's or E-6's (small note, probably not a good idea to disparage a particular profession on a site full of them), though I would recommend P-8's as I think they have a much more interesting mission set. I knew plenty of SNA selectees who ended up as NFO's for medical reasons and the vast majority were just happy to fly though some were a bit frustrated that they didn't become pilots. Some continued their dream by flying on their own time with the airlines or fun. A handful I knew remained bitter about not being pilots and it showed, but they were few.

I know it is a lot to process in a short time but any one of your options can be a good one if you make it so. Except for maybe SWO, or subs...friends don't let friends become SWOs if they don't have to be. :D

exNavyOffRec

I know this has probably been addressed many times. But I still have not received any sound advice or information.

I was recently DQ’d from being a pilot in the Navy due to anthro measurements. I am already stationed at the schoolhouse and was getting ready to start schooling. I am now redesignating to another designator.

I know it’s cliche, but being a military pilot was a dream for me. It was my number one goal in life. I had been selected for pilot and been thinking it was going to happen for two years now.

Is there ANYTHING, literally anything, I can do to be a military pilot? If not, any guidance or feedback or help regarding picking another designator would be great. My options are intel, crypto, oceano, SWO, SUBS, medical service corps, HR, aviation duty maintenance officer, NFO (only for p-8s and e-6s), and some others.

Are those the jobs that are open or the jobs that they have said you can apply for? Subs does specific classes to have been taken, tech interviews, then a meeting with the Admiral.

allegroreyees

Student Naval Aviator

Do you know if you were anthro-d out of helos? It's not a widely known process but it's possible to go COPT-R/CORPS if you don't meet the requirement for the T-6.

Empire16

Do you know if you were anthro-d out of helos? It's not a widely known process but it's possible to go COPT-R/CORPS if you don't meet the requirement for the T-6.
I saw a video on youtube of a guy flying a CIV blackhawk and it looks cool as hell!

Reactions: IKE

So I actually did not get DQ’d from the t-6. They told me I was DQ’d from helos though. So I’m not sure if I can do the COPTR program. I actually wanted to do that but they didn’t give me the option.

allegroreyees

Student Naval Aviator
So I actually did not get DQ’d from the t-6. They told me I was DQ’d from helos though. So I’m not sure if I can do the COPTR program. I actually wanted to do that but they didn’t give me the option.
You wouldn’t be able to do COPT-R/CORPS if you’re dq’d from helo. It seems like they got you with the rule stating you have to fit in at least two airframes. Most people get dq’d from the T-45 so they’re still able to go multi/helos.

If you have an instructor you know well or contact at NAMI, you could ask if the anthro measurements are for the TH-57 or TH-73. If they’re for the 57, you could ask for to be measured for the 73. It’s a Hail Mary and you probably have a better chance of buying a lottery ticket and winning big but it might be worth a shot. The worst thing they can say is no 🤷‍♂️

Honestly, multiengine NFO life seems pretty dope. You could still use the GI Bill to pay for flight training. As someone that almost faced the POCR process, everything might seem like doom and gloom now but there are some great career paths in the Navy outside of aviation.

Last edited:

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

Disclaimer: I am not a 13XX.

I completely understand how crushing this must feel, especially when you’ve been working toward this goal for so long. But with the Navy’s strict anthro restrictions for pilots, this may be a sign to take a step back and consider other opportunities... either within the Navy or even beyond it.

Let’s face it: the options you’ve been given within the Navy might not align with your passion for flying. And to be honest, some of those designators (SWO, SUBS, etc.) may not provide the same level of excitement or fulfillment if flying is your true passion. If the Navy won’t allow you to pursue that dream, you might need to think outside the box. Other military branches, like the Air Force/ANG or the Army, have different anthro requirements. If flying is what you truly want, why not explore those options? It’s a risk worth taking if it gets you closer to what you really want.

On the civilian side, there are plenty of opportunities to become a commercial or private pilot. You wouldn’t have the same constraints, and it seems like some airlines have flight training programs. You don’t have to give up on being a pilot just because the Navy has limits.

This might be the moment to think about what’s most important: Staying in the Navy or achieving your dream of flying.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Are those the jobs that are open or the jobs that they have said you can apply for? Subs does specific classes to have been taken, tech interviews, then a meeting with the Admiral.

The Nuclear community tried this a few years back when there was an entire backlog of 1390s and 1370s waiting to class up. I believe they did a quick screen on those who qualified and then offered them opportunities to go to DC, pass the interviews, and then re-des to sub-nuke.

exNavyOffRec

The Nuclear community tried this a few years back when there was an entire backlog of 1390s and 1370s waiting to class up. I believe they did a quick screen on those who qualified and then offered them opportunities to go to DC, pass the interviews, and then re-des to sub-nuke.
Makes sense, I just was wondering if the list was what was open or what the OP was told they could qualify for.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
If you have an instructor you know well or contact at NAMI, you could ask if the anthro measurements are for the TH-57 or TH-73. If they’re for the 57, you could ask for to be measured for the 73.
100% look at this. The HN or HM3 that did the measurements may not have been paying attention or notated it incorrectly.

Ocean O would be interesting, but like exNavyOffRec asked, just because it's an option to apply for may not mean you can actually apply for it.

Take the least shitty thing you can get. At least one of those fields HAS to have SOMETHING about it that might be a slight redeeming feature and have the least amount of obligation. Fly as much as you can in your off time and get those rating while you’re getting a decent paycheck. Apply to regionals, 135s or SOME other sort of like flying approaching your separation date.
All is not lost, my friend. I hate it for you that you got NAMI’d. I can’t imagine how cruddy that must feel. But when you make it to The Show at some point in the not too distant future AND you have a background that’s not JUST flying like a lot of us, this isn’t going to feel like the EOTWAWKI that it feels like right now.
Not trying to minimize…. Just trying to say keep your head up.