• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

do I need to wait??

6strings78

Hi all- I will preface this post with the fact that I am prior service Army and know next to nothing about the Navy or the insider jargon so please forgive my ignorance.

I dropped in to see a Navy recruiter the other day (by the way I am working overseas as a government civilian so my choices are extremely limited) and told him I was interested in seeking a commission as a Naval Intel officer. I do have a "generic" B.S. in general studies, but am close to being finished with my second B.S. in political science (should finish in December '14). He's telling me I should wait before starting the application process if I really want Intel. I know this is a super long process so should I really wait to get things going? Are there things I can start now as a precursor to actually submitting a package?

Secondly, I should add that I first asked him about getting a commission in the Navy Reserves. He replied with, "unless you had your Master's degree in political science [as opposed to just my B.S.] then you won't be competitive for a Navy Reserves intel officer spot." When I asked him about possibilities going active duty, he made it seem like this was much more doable. Is this guy blowing smoke or what? I know recruiters are the equivalent to used car salesmen in many cases (I had one get me in the Army), but does his information sound legit? (and, should I replace "information" with "gouge":))

exNavyOffRec

Hi all- I will preface this post with the fact that I am prior service Army and know next to nothing about the Navy or the insider jargon so please forgive my ignorance.

I dropped in to see a Navy recruiter the other day (by the way I am working overseas as a government civilian so my choices are extremely limited) and told him I was interested in seeking a commission as a Naval Intel officer. I do have a "generic" B.S. in general studies, but am close to being finished with my second B.S. in political science (should finish in December '14). He's telling me I should wait before starting the application process if I really want Intel. I know this is a super long process so should I really wait to get things going? Are there things I can start now as a precursor to actually submitting a package?

Secondly, I should add that I first asked him about getting a commission in the Navy Reserves. He replied with, "unless you had your Master's degree in political science [as opposed to just my B.S.] then you won't be competitive for a Navy Reserves intel officer spot." When I asked him about possibilities going active duty, he made it seem like this was much more doable. Is this guy blowing smoke or what? I know recruiters are the equivalent to used car salesmen in many cases (I had one get me in the Army), but does his information sound legit? (and, should I replace "information" with "gouge":))

He really isn't blowing smoke, for reserves essentially if you aren't working in the Intel field for many years with a graduate degree and multiple certifications you aren't competitive.

In regards to AD those most competitive have tech degrees and/or are currently on AD, spots for Intel officers are small and some of the non tech people picked up recently from this board had either PhD's, or JD's

They also look for very high GPA's, since the USN averages GPA's they will see a GPA in the mid 3's vice the 4.0 in your Master's.

The program authorization for Intel now list any non tech degree as "acceptable" vice "preferred"

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
When it comes to active duty or the reserves, it's really up to you to decide. Do you want to go back into the military as active duty or do you want to make a difference serving one weekend a month + 2 weeks a year in the reserves? If the answer is the latter, the reserve component requires at least 5-6 years of prior or civilian experience in the intelligence/national security field. Here's the program authorization to check out:

http://www.cnrc.navy.mil/publications/PAs/NEW Program Authorizations/PA 108A Intel.pdf

As for timelines, I say get the process started now. I don't know anything about your medical history, but sometimes it can take months to clear that. You're going to see sufficient time to study and take the ASTB. If you don't do well the first time you have 90 days to study and retake it. There's never such thing as preparing too soon.

6strings78

wow. you guys are giving me a lot to consider and chew on, albeit a bit depressing given my current situation. I just wish I had figured out the "what do you want to do when you grow up?" question a lot sooner. it's a bit too late for me to get a PhD under my belt at this stage of the game. I'd love to go active duty if I can. It's funny, when I got out of the Army back in 2005 I didn't think I'd ever be considering going back in. I got out because I was coming off a 1 year deployment to Iraq and my unit was already slated for another 1 year hitch in 11 months. I had 2 small kids at the time that I wanted to watch grow up, so I got out. Now that I am a civilian working near Ramstein Air Base and around the military community, I realize how much I miss it. I'll do whatever I can to get back in, and specifically into the Intel field, even if it means going enlisted again. I'd rather go the commissioning route if I can, but I realize I need to also be realistic. I really appreciate the feedback and dose of reality. I was hoping my years of working in electronics would compensate a little for my lack of a technical degree, but maybe that isn't the case. All I can do is give it a shot and see what happens. I've got nothing to lose. Thanks again all!

Renegade One

None
From the title of the thread…Yes…you need to wait.
It's funny, when I got out of the Army back in 2005 I didn't think I'd ever be considering going back in. I got out because I was coming off a 1 year deployment to Iraq and my unit was already slated for another 1 year hitch in 11 months. I had 2 small kids at the time that I wanted to watch grow up, so I got out.
How are the kids doing? That should still be your number one focus…the Navy is no easier in terms of deployments/family separation.
I've got nothing to lose. Thanks again all!
Can I assume you've had the conversation with the wife and kiddies? Make SURE you have NOTHING to lose. Many have lost all that they once considered most important. There are many ways to make a living…but you only have one life. Choose wisely.

6strings78

Thanks for the feedback Renegade One. Yes, I've had the conversation with my wife and kids and they are very supportive of this decision which is one of the biggest reasons I am pursuing this. If my family wasn't behind me it would definitely be a show stopper. This site has given me a lot to consider and think about. I'm making a living now working in electronics for the Army repairing secure comms systems, but I have zero passion for what I am doing. I'm really only doing what I am doing because it pays the bills and it's what my military background was in. Now that I am almost finished with my poli-sci degree this is where my passion is, and I'd like to marry this up with a related career in the military.