• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Do NA's and NFO's lead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TransAmatt

I am new to naval aviation so this question may seem obvious. I know I will have a chance to compete for staff jobs to lead other officers, but I was wondering if I (hopefully one day a Marine NFO) would have the chance to lead enlisted troops once I'm winged?

Thank you for your time,
Matt

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The answer is yes you will have numerous oportunities probably by being the Officer in Charge of one of the maintencance shops could be up to 100 Marines depending on type of squadron and the job.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
Not too mention, if you are in a mutli crew a/c (I know it is not likely as a FO) you will have aircrew to lead as well. Ex Helo pilots will always have at least 1 enlisted crew member in the back (exception of cobras) and the multi engine guys will too.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I'm taking over a 50 man detachment here at VRC-30. Chances for leadership in any community is good.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Any NA/NFO in VP/VQ is gonna have 2-too many Aircrew bubbas working for him. Awesome experience. You get to lead, while airborne, everyone from the saltiest Chief to the 'just been born' Airman. One of the coolest things I've ever gotten to be a part of.

46Driver

"It's a mother beautiful bridge, and it's gon
You will find out it is much more rewarding leading troops than flying. I was lucky enough to have both an Airframes shop (23 Marines) and then the Maintenance Department (82 Marines). Some of the best times I've had in the Corps.....

Gunny, who do I have to get out of jail this morning....

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
46Driver said:
You will find out it is much more rewarding leading troops than flying. I was lucky enough to have both an Airframes shop (23 Marines) and then the Maintenance Department (82 Marines). Some of the best times I've had in the Corps.....

Gunny, who do I have to get out of jail this morning....

Couldn't agree more. The flying, especially what I do, doesn't hold a candle to the rewards of leading men and women. I've been a Division Officer and AOIC of two different dets, led two short but intense 100 man dets at the FRS, headed up student control at the FRS, and now I have my own long-term COD det. Great stuff.

TransAmatt

Awesome stuff, that's exactly what I wanted to hear. I joined becouse I wanted to be a leader, I just wanted to make sure that choosing aviation would not keep me from being involved with the enlisted side. (I've been told that in the Air Force you fly and only fly if your an aviator) I was also wondering how soon should I should expect to be given a chance at leading and would I be leading the men who take care of the aircraft I fly or is there a single officer for maintainence men?

Thanks again,
Matt

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
It depends on the squadron but most pilots will start as an "upstairs guy" working in ops safety admin something like that, then when you have some experience (about a year or so) you can take a shop downstairs, again it depends on the type of squadron but there are numerous shops you can take in an HMLA the only ones not run by pilots are ordnance and avionics due to the high technical stuff, they are run by warrant officers.

46Driver

"It's a mother beautiful bridge, and it's gon
skidkid said:
It depends on the squadron but most pilots will start as an "upstairs guy" working in ops safety admin something like that, then when you have some experience (about a year or so) you can take a shop downstairs, again it depends on the type of squadron but there are numerous shops you can take in an HMLA the only ones not run by pilots are ordnance and avionics due to the high technical stuff, they are run by warrant officers.

I certainly agree with that. Lots of lieutenants want to go directly to maintenance and lead troops but generally it is better to get some experience in the squadron for a year or two before going "downstairs" to maintenance.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not only is leading over enlisted a rewarding experience. I find that just working with them has given me a deeper appreciation for what they do. Having spent the last couple years in flight school, the only time I worked with enlisted was on my last flight (out to the flightdeck of the JFK). Slowing my heartrate down from my first trap, I was awestruck at the level of coordination and professionalism by those "kids" not long out of high school. Now that I'm in the RAG and get to see some of the maintenance side a little better, I am amazed at the types of duties and the knowledge each one possesses. Too many times I've had to go ask questions to a certain AM1 to get the right answer. And apparently as the saying goes... "it takes a college education to break an aircraft, and a high school one to fix it."

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
The downside to leading is at times you get guys like kmac under your belt. Totally out of hand, think they know it all, fly hard, drink harder and walk with a chip on their shoulder. Typical FNG.

PS...Good luck finishing the FRS kmac. Coming to 30?

26Retro

Recovering COD pilot
Don't listen to him kmac. Not everyone can be a quiet, restrained, sober, non-opinionated leader like bunk here. Man, I guess they give anyone a det these days... :icon_tong

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
TransAmatt said:
Awesome stuff, that's exactly what I wanted to hear. I joined becouse I wanted to be a leader, I just wanted to make sure that choosing aviation would not keep me from being involved with the enlisted side. (I've been told that in the Air Force you fly and only fly if your an aviator) I was also wondering how soon should I should expect to be given a chance at leading and would I be leading the men who take care of the aircraft I fly or is there a single officer for maintainence men?

Thanks again,
Matt

FYI,
Flight school itself (as long as you are in the orange and white a/c part of it) has almost 0 opportunities for leading. Reason being, you need to learn to fly your bird b4 trying to guide others. In the helo syllabus, u get 2 flights with a crew chief and that is it. In Primary there was only 1 petty officer in our entire command.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
26Retro said:
Don't listen to him kmac. Not everyone can be a quiet, restrained, sober, non-opinionated leader like bunk here. Man, I guess they give anyone a det these days... :icon_tong

It can't be :D Mr Bean, have you ventured onto the net with us other no life losers? I miss you at 30, nobody to rant, *****, or cry to.

Status
Not open for further replies.