• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Do waivers "stack"? - and other qualification questions

a_question

So in a few years I may be applying for a very specific medical staff corps (officer) job that involves aviation. This won't be until I've finished the advanced degrees required for said jobs.

I have a medical thing in my past that waivers exist for (three years of legal ADHD med use that I stopped after college, now doing advanced degrees successfully without them), and then I smoked a bit of weed in college. Stupid, I regret it, and I haven't done it in years. I'll be totally up front and honest about both things when that time comes. I had no arrests, no dependency, and by itself I don't think it would be a major problem based on what I've read here and elsewhere. I know I don't meet all the actual criteria for ADHD by quite a bit, so I don't think that would be a huge issue on its own. I don't think this job involves high performance aircraft, either.

So my concern is that having to get *two* waivers is going to make it hard for me to get said job. I have/am getting a very specific skill set that makes me qualified for this job (so its not just being an aviator), so its not like there are hundreds of people who want the same job, as there is an eclectic skill set needed that I happen to have. I'm not being arrogant and saying "the navy needs me" - but I'm just pointing out that I'm not as easily replaced as other positions. Are these waivers dealt with independently, as in they get checked off on their own, or does someone have both on their desk and say "Ok, so this person got a the MJ waiver, AND this psychiatric/medical waiver? No go!"

I also read that any drug use disqualifies people from medical jobs in the military. Can anyone tell me if this is true or not?

a_question

So a quick search on here suggests that I shouldn't be concerned about the number, but the content. This is good because I'm not worried about the content. Having said this, my last question about medical jobs still stands.

exNavyOffRec

Unless the person that grants the waivers looks at all the documents it is hard to say, I can tell you I have seen a nurse get in that had much worse than you, so go forward and hope for the best.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
NavyOR will have much more hard data, but here's my anecdotal take:

If you're applying to be a Navy Doc, the Navy will take you as long as you have four limbs and most of your teeth. They're hurting (at an operational level) for docs, so I wouldn't sweat it too much.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Having deployed on a hospital ship, I feel confident in saying medical types on the O side are hired for their degree. As long as you have that, no worries.

a_question

Thanks for the feedback. To be clear, this job is on the research side of things (I wouldn't be a medical doctor/have an MD), and I would be flying, if that matters at all.

exNavyOffRec

The MJ use if under 10 occasions will not be an issue, the ADHD meds and what is in the meddocs are the variable, they will want to see transcripts during the ADHD meds and transcripts without the meds.