• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Does MID time count for anything?

war eagle

None of the time in ROTC, summer cruise or not, counts towards our time in service. Here's the way I understand it:

Our time in service begins the day we get commissioned but the time on our service contract does not begin to until we get wings.

Can anybody back me up on that or am I confused?

phrogpilot73

None of the time in ROTC, summer cruise or not, counts towards our time in service. Here's the way I understand it:

Our time in service begins the day we get commissioned but the time on our service contract does not begin to until we get wings.

Can anybody back me up on that or am I confused?
Not exactly true. Yes, time in service begins the day you get commissioned (unless you're prior enlisted). However, for commitments - it starts ticking down when you get commissioned as well. If you get your wings, then you get a commitment that runs concurrently with your original commitment. It will outlast your original one. If you don't get winged, you just continue with your original one.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
How does that work with guys that make it really far in flight training and then don't wing. I was kinda wondering this the other day. If someone is in flight traing for a couple years and then doesn't wing for whatever reason they would have less than 2 years left on their obligation. Would the navy even let your redesignate with so little time left? Would you be fighting an uphill battle to stay in the navy at that point?

And speaking of rides, can active duty ensigns get one? I have a couple friends in the VFA's that I might give a call if its possible...

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
From my understanding, your summer cruise NROTC time only counts after retirement and you have to lobby for it. That is all.

-ea6bflyr ;)

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
How does that work with guys that make it really far in flight training and then don't wing. I was kinda wondering this the other day. If someone is in flight traing for a couple years and then doesn't wing for whatever reason they would have less than 2 years left on their obligation. Would the navy even let your redesignate with so little time left? Would you be fighting an uphill battle to stay in the navy at that point?

And speaking of rides, can active duty ensigns get one? I have a couple friends in the VFA's that I might give a call if its possible...

When you redesignate to a new community, you WILL sign a new contract for the new designator. So while you may only have 2 years left in the contract, I sincerely doubt you will get away with doing less than another 4 years or whatever in your new community.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
When you redesignate to a new community, you WILL sign a new contract for the new designator. So while you may only have 2 years left in the contract, I sincerely doubt you will get away with doing less than another 4 years or whatever in your new community.

Reference? MSR remains the same unless you redesignate to a community that extends your obliserve on completion of training. (NSW/a dive program spring to mind, maybe, but I can't picture an attrite getting that - could be others, though).

Now, if you take orders with a PRD > your MSR then you can be extended to that PRD, but that is not the same as above.

Don't give out bad NPC gouge. If you haven't read the instruction you are not the right person to answer the question.

xmid

pilot
Contributor

You sure about that?... My roomate just redesignated and he didn't sign a new contract...

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
I redesignated to Gen Av and back without so much as being notified, let alone signing anything.

But don't let pesky things like facts get in your way - not if it will boost your post count.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
From my understanding, your summer cruise NROTC time only counts after retirement and you have to lobby for it. That is all.

-ea6bflyr ;)

I thought retirement also included NROTC time as well. So you retire at 20, but its really 24 years because of your 4 as a mid.

I guess we'll never know...

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
I thought retirement also included NROTC time as well. So you retire at 20, but its really 24 years because of your 4 as a mid.

I guess we'll never know...

We know: it doesn't. Nice urban legend, though.

a-6intruder

Richard Hardshaft
None
Straight skinny on Navy ROTC time counting towards retirement (from one who is old enough to retire).

Regardless of what you may think, you are not on active duty while in Navy ROTC. At least not in the sense that the Navy views it. Therefore your four years of ROTC time don't count for squat, unlike the USNA guys who can apply those four years once they qualify for retirement (i.e. 20 years faithful service then magically becomes 24 when USNA time is added in).

Now the caveat. You can request credit for your active duty summer training time, but the burden of proof is on you. You can't just say "hey, everyone had to cruise, so credit me for 2 extra months of active duty." You need to provide a copy of your endorsed orders for each training period, so they can account for those days. Or a copy of the pages out of ship logbooks showing arrival departure dates. Tougher to do if you went to a squadron, because no squadron SDO gives a crap about the logbook unless there's a mishap, so for sure they didn't bother to record the arrival of a midiot on summer cruise.

Learning point: Keep a copy of EVERY piece of paper the Navy gives you that remotely pertains to pay or medical stuff.

If you retire off of active duty, those two months won't mean much. But if you retire out of the reserves, an extra two months of points equates to 1/6th of a year, or an additional 1.25% salary multiplier when figuring out your Reserve pay / pension. This is higher math requiring a separate thread, and if you're worrying about how much money you'll be making at age 60, you're worrying about the wrong thing. Focus on getting laid and not washing out of flight school...in that order.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
BAD GOUGE alert!

Regardless of what you may think, you are not on active duty while in Navy ROTC. At least not in the sense that the Navy views it. Therefore your four years of ROTC time don't count for squat, unlike the USNA guys who can apply those four years once they qualify for retirement (i.e. 20 years faithful service then magically becomes 24 when USNA time is added in).
Nope. Not unless someone at the Bureau is gundecking something. We've been over this before.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
To the point: NROTC and USNA time doesn't count for anything at anytime. Period. No lets stop beating this horse.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Now the caveat. You can request credit for your active duty summer training time, but the burden of proof is on you. You can't just say "hey, everyone had to cruise, so credit me for 2 extra months of active duty." You need to provide a copy of your endorsed orders for each training period, so they can account for those days. Or a copy of the pages out of ship logbooks showing arrival departure dates. Tougher to do if you went to a squadron, because no squadron SDO gives a crap about the logbook unless there's a mishap, so for sure they didn't bother to record the arrival of a midiot on summer cruise.

For the record (to all those who thought I was crazy in my original post :) ) this is exactly what I was referring to. Maybe the secretary at my unit was not mistaken then? The reason for her telling me this was to make sure that I held on to copies of my orders for this reason.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
To the point: NROTC and USNA time doesn't count for anything at anytime. Period. No lets stop beating this horse.
Actually, that's not true either. USNA time counts towards Federal Civil Service retirement.