• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Does Pilot = Dodo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texan

Why enemy pilots dont sleep well
Had an interesting conversation today, the gist of which was that military pilots - at least fighter / bomber types - are pretty much doomed to extinction (like the dodo bird - not a crack at the monkey skills this time :).

Its obvious that there's a heavy concentration on UAV's and it looks like, at least for the Navy, that the JSF will probably be the last manned aircraft used. The fact that there were only about 10 flight spots this year doesnt help either.

Kinda has me nervous as I'm looking to leave a steady and lucrative engineering position if/when I get accepted.

Anyway, just wanted to get some of ya'lls thoughts on the topic.

-Texan

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
The F-35 probably is the last manned tactical strike aircraft. That said, it's supposed to last us for 20-some years, so even if you waited to join, you'd still have a long career ahead of you. I wouldn't let speculation about events many years down the road influence you decision to take an opportunity. Also, don't forget that even if strike were to go away, it will be many, MANY years before anyone lets a UAV fly with passengers, so there will always be airplanes and helos to be flown.

Broadsword2004

No new weapon system replaces the current one until it proves itself. The tank didn't, the carrier didn't, hell the gun didn't. And attack aircraft that are unmanned have faults, like communications; you could lose communication with the aircraft. Or what if the enemy jams your communitcation? Or even worse, if they jam it and then THEY take over control of it.

But from what history has shown of weapons systems, pilots aren't going anywhere until unmanned fighters prove themselves to be superior to piloted attack aircraft.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
UAV/RPV: Wherefore Art Thou, Aviator?

Is this sorry development a gloomy portend for the future of Naval Aviation?
If so:

Who are you going to pin Wings of Gold on ... ??
Who are you going to bond with ... ??
Who are you going to go on liberty with ... ??
What will happen to sea stories ... ??
What will happen to honor ... ??
Will future Naval "Aviators" be video game geeks sporting taped-up horn-rimmed glasses, plastic pocket pen-holders, and squeaky corduroy pants --- instead of leather flight jackets ... ??

Is this the end of Naval Aviation as we know it ?? Tell me it ain't so....

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Having seen what UAV's can and cannot do the last few months have confirmed my belief that there will still be a place for all of us pilots and NFO's in the forseeable future.

KBayDog

A4sForever said:
Is this the end of Naval Aviation as we know it ?? Tell me it ain't so....

That's great, it starts with an earthquake, birds and snakes, an aeroplane, and Lenny Bruce is not afraid...

metro

The future of the Supply Corps
Quite frankly, the idea of unmanned aircraft reminds me of the backstory of the Terminator movie series, and scares the **** out of me.

Red2

E-2 NFO. WTI. DH.
None
Texan said:
The fact that there were only about 10 flight spots this year doesnt help either.

Where'd you hear that? I personally know of 5 guys from my old ROTC unit who will be going to Pensacola this summer. Look for the service selection thread on here and you will find many more.

UAVs will never replace traditional aircraft. I think it is only a wet dream of the, as A4sforever so well put it, "video game geeks sporting taped-up horn-rimmed glasses, plastic pocket pen-holders, and squeaky corduroy pants."

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I can't believe no NFO's saw the title of this thread and interjected something "witty". You guys are slipping.

46Driver

"It's a mother beautiful bridge, and it's gon
Red2 said:
UAVs will never replace traditional aircraft. I think it is only a wet dream of the, as A4sforever so well put it, "video game geeks sporting taped-up horn-rimmed glasses, plastic pocket pen-holders, and squeaky corduroy pants."

I'm gonna disagree. As computer power continues to increase, I think the days are numbered: first of bombers and transports, then fighters, and finally helicopters down low. Look at the progress of cruise missiles: from the V-1 of WW II to today's tomahawks.

I guess we'll have to take another look in the year 2050.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Dog Days for Naval Air seats....???

wannabef18pilot said:
yes, there will be no more pilots in the navy anymore. you are doomed.

Naaaaaa ..... I'm not doomed. I'm no "wannabe"; I've already got mine. But I feel empathy for some of you younger fellows "coming up".

Why? Well, for starters:
A Navy with 300 ships/10 AirWings (plus one Reserve AW?) is not going to need as many aircraft/squadrons as in days of old. Newer, lighter, precision weapons will also require fewer aircraft per squadron to accomplish the same mission. What overall effect will cheap, relatively expendable UAV's have on total pilot seats? I certainly don't have "inside" knowledge, but it can't be good..... you do the math.

One big problem is how to afford to buy those spendy, new aircraft ($$$) while keeping the tired old birds flying (more $$$$) until the JSF appears (BIG $$$$$) --- while the JSF program experiences more delays (still more $$$$$$). That is a huge problem.

The Navy will soon divest itself of about 500 aircraft total--all to save $$$$. The Reserve P-3 squadrons are going to be decommissioned "soon", as well as some reserve TACAIR and Helo outfits. Publicly reported so far: VP-64, VP-92, VP-62, VP-66, VP-65, VP-69, and VP-94; three F/A-18 squadrons (VFA-203, VFA-201, and VFA-204); an E-2C airborne early-warning (AEW) squadron (VAW-78); and five combat-support, spec/ops-type helicopter squadrons (HS-75, HSL-60, HC-85, HCS-4, and HCS-5) have all been ID'd for the chopping block.

The Navy still believes it can meet all contingencies through TACAIR integration with USMC. The Director of AirWarfare says so --- but of course, if he doesn't say that -- he's out of a job.

Maybe we'll get into a fight with the Chicoms over Taiwan and all our procurement problems will be solved :eek: .... ??? Where are those A4's when you need them!!?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Maybe we'll get into a fight with the Chicoms over Taiwan and all our procurement problems will be solved

Chicoms?! I hate to say it but you are showing a little age :icon_wink . The only place I have seen that is in history books. We like to call them the PRC and ROC now. Goes along with the acronym happy DOD that we all work for.

Status
Not open for further replies.