• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Don't have 20/20 Eyesight, but I'm close. Does that make me less competitive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

samurang

First, I'm posting on this forum because I couldn't decide where this should best be placed.

I am aware that the Navy states you need 20/40, correctible to 20/20 to become a pilot. I have about 20/25 or 20/30 vision, which is within standards. However, I have heard from many of sources, some reliable and some not (I am currently in ROTC in college) that if you don't have 20/20 your chances of getting pilot are much worse.

Thus, my question is... even though I meet the standard, will not having 20/20 vision affect my chances greatly? If any pilots have testimonials or factual information from experience. I have searched this website, as well as the internet, as well as talked to Officers and Midshipmen and haven't been able to find a concrete answer. It all seems to be conflicting opinions or heresay.

My dilemna is that I do not think I would be a candidate for PRK as my vision is only slightly worse than perfect. I have looked into natural eye improvement and I am wordering if I should try to find some alternative to get myself back to being 20/20 or if I stand an equal chance as is.

I'm really just looking for a concrete answer, if there are pilots who were picked up with less than 20/20 or anyone who knows that the screening boards actually look for.

Afterburner209

Good muster guys.
Im pushing 20/30 on a good day. It's just a check in the box, no weight is placed on it.

It's sort of like a pulse, you ether have it or you don't.

sundevil_av8r

pilot
I bought an eye improvement program before I had PRK (I was 20/400) and it helped my vision improve quite a bit. My eye doctor was quite impressed that it actually worked. However, it wasn't going to take me where I needed to be. For someone in your ballpark it may help you get back to 20/20. The process included a couple exercises that helped strengthen the muscles in your eyes which control the focusing of the lens. It also stressed a good diet and hydration along with natural tear wetting drops to keep your eyes moist. I can't remember the price but it was around $40-50. I think it would be a great investment even if you are still within regs.

BoomGoDynamite

Here's a great thread with detailed instructions on eye exercises, http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=151793&p=611824&highlight=#post611824 . For the near exercises (ie figure eights, etc) I use a coin instead of the prescribed E-stick and it seems to work fine.

I also recommend reading glasses when doing a lot of close work (computer, reading, anything closer than arms length). The plus lenses help prevent eye strain (eye strain can cause temporary near sightedness) and force your eyes to relax. I went to an optometrist and got a pair with anti-glare for $150 (cheap frames but anti-glare is expensive).

Between the glasses and exercises I've gone from 20/20+ on a good day, back to 20/15 (what they were before burning them out in front of a computer 10 hrs a day for the past 3 years at work).

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I bought an eye improvement program before I had PRK (I was 20/400) and it helped my vision improve quite a bit. My eye doctor was quite impressed that it actually worked. However, it wasn't going to take me where I needed to be. For someone in your ballpark it may help you get back to 20/20. The process included a couple exercises that helped strengthen the muscles in your eyes which control the focusing of the lens. It also stressed a good diet and hydration along with natural tear wetting drops to keep your eyes moist. I can't remember the price but it was around $40-50. I think it would be a great investment even if you are still within regs.

I've done similar stuff (never paid for a program) and I'm not denying it works, but your logic is flawed. If you are nearsighted, and have trouble with distance vision, it's not weak eye muscles. Your eye is fully relaxed when looking at distant objects. Your eye muscles contract to change the shape of the eye to shift the focal point for closer objects. The exercises were mostly to help your eyes to fully relax, and accommodation.

sundevil_av8r

pilot
I've done similar stuff (never paid for a program) and I'm not denying it works, but your logic is flawed. If you are nearsighted, and have trouble with distance vision, it's not weak eye muscles. Your eye is fully relaxed when looking at distant objects. Your eye muscles contract to change the shape of the eye to shift the focal point for closer objects. The exercises were mostly to help your eyes to fully relax, and accommodation.

It's not my logic, I didn't create the program. This was 4 years ago so sorry if I didn't recall the exact science behind it. Referring to my post: strengthen = better control.

The intent of my post was to answer the OP's question of whether he should give it a try. Not to impress everyone with my great knowledge.

Quit arguing just to argue.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
It's not my logic, I didn't create the program. This was 4 years ago so sorry if I didn't recall the exact science behind it. Referring to my post: strengthen = better control.

The intent of my post was to answer the OP's question of whether he should give it a try. Not to impress everyone with my great knowledge.

Quit arguing just to argue.

Well fully relaxed is your distance vision. If you recall, during your initial and long form, they do both a manifest and cycloplegic refraction. Manifest is just your normal vision. The cycloplegic refraction is paralyzing your ability to focus.... the one where your pupils get dialated etc. THAT is a true measure of your distance vision.... when your eye is completely relaxed.

samurang

I think we are deviating from the the original topic, which was are people with less than 20/20 vision at a major disadvantage or is it a level playing field as long as your better than 20/40?

sundevil_av8r

pilot
Let me rephrase so you can understand... I apologize for not accurately recalling how it works. It's been four years. I don't own the book anymore. It's not my logic. I misspoke.

But thankfully you were here to swiftly correct my flaw. Otherwise, the OP might have injected steroids into his eyes and then got pissed at me when strengthening his eyes didn't work.

I think we are deviating from the the original topic, which was are people with less than 20/20 vision at a major disadvantage or is it a level playing field as long as your better than 20/40?

I will defer your question to someone who can better answer it. But if I were you I would give these exercises a shot, and if you return to 20/20 then it won't even be an issue.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Maybe another mod can unlock this thread but for now, it's closed. The vision standard is 20/40 correctable to 20/20. That's it.

Status
Not open for further replies.