• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Don't know what options are available to me, due to slight problem.

A.E.

Hi all,

I'm new here, just found this place off Google. I'm 16 and have been looking at all the ways to get a commission but here is the problem - I have not acquired my U.S. Citizenship yet. It's due in the middle of my freshman year of college, when I'm 18 years old.

To be honest, it doesn't matter to me that much about which service I join. I should be applying for the USNA and USAFA right now, and even though I've enrolled in many sports and clubs at my high school and kept my grades up, am ineligible to apply because of my citizenship status. My Academy option to commission is out.

I am aware of BDCP and PLC. I know would be eligible for BDCP because the earliest I can apply is 30 months prior to graduation which would be about 2 years after I become a citizen of the United States. I'm not too sure about the applying date for PLC and hopefully someone can help me out with that.

To get to the point of this thread, I want to know what options I have left when it comes to getting a commission once I finish college. Thanks. :)

AE

BigRed389

None
NROTC College Program should be an earlier option. They won't pay/give you anything, but you participate in the unit for up to 2 years, and once you are a citizen you'll become eligible to pick up a scholarship/advanced standing.

BigRed389

None
Basically, for College Program, once you figure out what college you're going to go to, contact the school's NROTC unit and ask them if they'll take you on as a College Programmer. Explain that you're not a citizen but you'll get it soon. They should pick you up.

Also, are you going to be a citizen by the time you go to college? I know a guy who ended up at West Point...who got it a few months before graduating high school. Might be worth asking around about if you haven't already.

jmiller82

Another option would be to apply for a commission through Officer Candidate School (OCS). It's a long way out if you're only 16 right now, but it would help to get you grades and activities squared away and know exactly what you need to pass the boards for OCS.. Check out this thread here on AW (post #13) for some links on where to go (for all services but the Marines), and then this thread, which will walk you through the basics of applying for OCS (hold tight, junior, you've still got a few more years).. I think to answer your question, most fo the programs the Navy offers are going to be for citizens only. Just not sure if you have to be a citizen to participate in NROTC College Program (as mentioned earlier). Good luck..

A.E.

Basically, for College Program, once you figure out what college you're going to go to, contact the school's NROTC unit and ask them if they'll take you on as a College Programmer. Explain that you're not a citizen but you'll get it soon. They should pick you up.

Ok, I understand. :) I have another question, however. Where would I apply for NROTC from? Would it just be done by calling my schools NROTC unit, telling them I'm soon to get my citizenship, and then see if I'm accepted? Or would it have something to do with sending in a packet to a board?

Also, are you going to be a citizen by the time you go to college?

No sir, should be in the middle of the school year. Would this complicate the NROTC process?

J_M74,

I'm pretty sure ALL of the military programs are for U.S. Citizens only. The reason I mentioned PLC and BDCP was because I would be a citizen by the application time. Thank you for the 2 links concerning OCS, I'll definitely take a look. :) Congratulations on getting selected.

A.E.

BigRed389

None
Ok, I understand. :) I have another question, however. Where would I apply for NROTC from? Would it just be done by calling my schools NROTC unit, telling them I'm soon to get my citizenship, and then see if I'm accepted? Or would it have something to do with sending in a packet to a board?

No sir, should be in the middle of the school year. Would this complicate the NROTC process?

You could just walk in the door of the NROTC unit anytime during freshman year. The main reason I'd recommend contacting your unit earlier(i.e. as soon as you know you're going to XYZ College) by phone/email/during a college visit/whatever is that you might miss out on the orientation stuff, which is a good time to get to know your classmates. Also it sucks to be the guy who doesn't have a clue for awhile.

And I'm not a sir, and neither are a number of people on this board.

A.E.

You could just walk in the door of the NROTC unit anytime during freshman year. The main reason I'd recommend contacting your unit earlier(i.e. as soon as you know you're going to XYZ College) by phone/email/during a college visit/whatever is that you might miss out on the orientation stuff, which is a good time to get to know your classmates. Also it sucks to be the guy who doesn't have a clue for awhile.

Oh, so until I get my citizenship I won't be able to participate with the NROTC unit? That would mean missing out on half the classes for that year, then. :confused:

Sorry for the "Sir" comment, I was just on the Navy chat.

BigRed389

None
Oh, so until I get my citizenship I won't be able to participate with the NROTC unit? That would mean missing out on half the classes for that year, then. :confused:

No, you do everything(basically) that the scholarship guys do.
You'll be issued uniforms, enroll in a 0730 naval science class, PT with your unit, shine shoes, get inspected, etc.

Basically, the Navy gets to "try" you before they "buy" you. And you get to learn more about the Navy before committing to anything.

And if you contact the unit early enough, you can go through orientation week with the rest of your classmates...you'll love it. :D

greysword

Boldly lick where no one has licked before
I would suggest NROTC as well. The environment should be way better than the Academy, and you will have more control over how things proceed.

As for approaching them, even if you don't get a scholorship or officially added to their ranks, make yourself known to the officers there. Stop in and say Hello sometime, and ask if you can PT with them, if not do everything else they do. I'm sure they do morning colors, possibly fund drives, and other volunteer type stuff. If you can at least be visible and let the officers know who you are and your dedication, they can give you recommendation letters for OCS if it ever comes to that.

Of course, you have many options, and the order I would consider it is: NROTC, BDCP, OCS. Just don't stop until you get it, and good hunting!

STLEngineer

pilot
Agreed on the NROTC front. I am more familiar with AFROTC, but you could join even after your freshman year (even later under some circumstances). You'll pick up everything quickly.

Just make sure the school you're going to has NROTC if you're truly interested.

Notso07

None
Go to the best college you can get into, especially with NROTC. If you want to apply to the academy again once you get your citizenship you woulldn't be the oldest in your class by a long shot. Or you might find that you like it where you are and stick with NROTC