• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

door gunner

Status
Not open for further replies.

sensesfail

senesfail
ive always wondered what the MOS and how you become a door or tail gunner for a helicopter. anyone know the procces for the job

HueyCobra8151

pilot
In the Marine Corps you would enlist under the AG enlistment contract.

This would put you into position to become a 6172, 6173, or 6174 Enlisted Air Crewmember.

You would attend Bootcamp, MCT, and then you would go to Pensacola for a few weeks (sorry I don't have many details on this). You would then attend school for your airframe and become a basically qualified mechanic.

You would then go to a training squadron (HMT-303 for example) and become a Plane Captain. After that, you would start getting your training X's.

Once that is complete you would go to the fleet.

Oh yeah, somewhere in there, you should wind up at SERE.

Reactions: E5B

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
In the navy I believe most of the crew cheif are AW's I know other rates can do it as well... but you would want to specify that you would want to go to aircrew school

Sandwichwarrior

Hauling ass so others don't have to.
I'm an enlisted H-60 crewman, and while i may be Navy but I can fill in some of the details for Huey as our training piplines overlap.

When you go to the recruiter SPECIFICALLY request "Enlisted Aircrew" (the Navy breaks it up into helo' and fixed) You can request it in boot' but that isn't doesn't garentee you a spot. From there you'll do MCT/Weapons Fam. From there you'll hit Pensacola for your Aircrew and Technical training. NATTC is a joint command so you'll be training with with future Navy aircrew guys as well. There you'll get trained in your MOS/Rate.
From Pensacola you'll go to a traning squadron for your aircraft H-60, H-46, H-53, whatever. There you'll learn that bird inside and out, as well as recieving your Tactical traning (which at least for us comprised of fire fighting and target practice) make it through unscathed and you're of to the fleet.

PS. Sere usually comes in between Pensacola and the Rag (training squadron)

Status
Not open for further replies.