• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Dragon Lady at the Boat

Notanaviator

Contributor
Just came across this, and can't recall it being posted before... based on my limited familiarity with the U-2, would imagine this had a somewhat robust pucker factor for whoever got the tap on the shoulder for this test. Would love to hear the perspective from Huggy or others on how this approach would be flown. Pretty cool footage.

HuggyU2

None
Here's a link to a post I made a while back with some additional info. I also posted some pages from the old flight manual showing the U-2 carrier pattern.

The U-2 flaps go to 35 degrees when "full"... however, for the boat, they lowered them to 50 deg to get a ton more drag and higher power settings for better response. I don't think the Navy pilots that trained up the U-2 pilots are still alive, but I'll check. Would be great to get them to Tailhook.

Notanaviator

Contributor
Thanks @HuggyU2 , and apologies for not tracking that down! I couldn't get any hits for 'U-2 Carrier,' but figured this would have been brought up before. Would you double check the link? Would love to check it out.

HeartofTexas

Contributor
I'll be honest, I first read this title and thought the hairdresser from RTC Great Lakes made her way onto a carrier ?

OscarMyers

None
@HuggyU2

@HuggyU2, lets talk about what's really important in the U-2 community as relayed by my classmates. "Cut one for show and one for go..."