• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Dreams of being a pilot, but am I dq'ed?

DecodaGrant

Hello all!
My names decoda, and I'm filled with excitement about finding this website! I just had a couple questions about becoming a pilot and if I meet the requirements. I wanted all to know before hand regardless of being able to fly or not, I will join the navy, I want to serve my country like others in my family have and the navy is the best of the best! Instead of going on and on I will get to the point, am I not able to fly?

*I'm 6, foot exact and weigh 145 pounds, (I'm 16)
*my highschool gpa right now is 3.1 (if that affects other than college?)
*my eyes are what scare me! I have corrective 20/20 but. Without lenses I'm 20/40 in both eyes
Also I'm mild color blind, at least that's what the stupid ishihara test says, I pass the falant with 100 percent!

That's about all about me physically no diseases or disqualifying disorders. I just want to know upfront by experienced officers if I have a chance.
If it's of any help I hope to join nrotc in college? Anything else I can do to prepare? Anything to study? Hope to hear back from anyone and this Site is wonderful!

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Hello all!
My names decoda, and I'm filled with excitement about finding this website! I just had a couple questions about becoming a pilot and if I meet the requirements. I wanted all to know before hand regardless of being able to fly or not, I will join the navy, I want to serve my country like others in my family have and the navy is the best of the best! Instead of going on and on I will get to the point, am I not able to fly?

*I'm 6, foot exact and weigh 145 pounds, (I'm 16)
*my highschool gpa right now is 3.1 (if that affects other than college?)
*my eyes are what scare me! I have corrective 20/20 but. Without lenses I'm 20/40 in both eyes
Also I'm mild color blind, at least that's what the stupid ishihara test says, I pass the falant with 100 percent!

That's about all about me physically no diseases or disqualifying disorders. I just want to know upfront by experienced officers if I have a chance.
If it's of any help I hope to join nrotc in college? Anything else I can do to prepare? Anything to study? Hope to hear back from anyone and this Site is wonderful!

I was in very similar circumstances when I was your age.

I'm 6'4", and have trouble with the ishihara test as well. I can pass it, but the FALANT is what saved me in aviation. I have 20/10 vision (or did, anyway, more like 20/20 now), but you can work with your vision these days.

Here's what you need to do to get started:

1) Stay out of trouble with the police.
2) Get/keep your grades as high as possible
3) Gain leadership experience by participating and seeking leadership opportunities in sports and other extracurricular activities.
4) Take the SAT/ ACT and kick ass on it.
5) Apply to college/ NROTC/USNA when eligible.
6) Read this website for more and continued guidance.

Things are far from over for you. Keep working, keep a great attitude, and things can work out.

Best of luck to you.

DecodaGrant

Thank you! You just like made my life btw! No one would give me an answer till now, and I'm so thankful for that! I also wanted to know, is there anything I could read or study to prepare for becoming a pilot, like for the test you have to take?

Renegade One

None
Thank you! You just like made my life btw! No one would give me an answer till now, and I'm so thankful for that! I also wanted to know, is there anything I could read or study to prepare for becoming a pilot, like for the test you have to take?
Don't worry about the "pilot tests" right now...work on your GPA, take rigorous workloads, do well in high school and posture yourself for wherever you want to go after that (NROTC or the Academy). Live a balanced, healthy life...and good luck!