• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Drinking before flight at NASA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
I thought they weren't allowed out days before launch? How did they get alcohol? Also, I thought the 12 hr rule was universal.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
... How did they get alcohol? Also, I thought the 12 hr rule was universal.
*Sigh* :) ... how did they get alcohol??? .... from the mouths of babes :) ... and check your FAR's for 8 hour bottle-to-throttle rules. Or is it within 50 feet of the aircraft ... ??? I never could remember ....

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
I'm sorry, I guess I'm so naive yet. I'd like to think NASA holds things to a higher standard than everyone else. I knew it was 8 hrs, but I've always been told that 12 is the preferred. Oh well.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
If you read the article it says alcohol was allowed to flow freely in "crew quarters" where the crew is quarantined for 3 days before the flight.

montellv

Professional Badguy
pilot
I thought it was "No smoking 12 hours before brief...No drinking within 50' of the aircraft." That's the rule I use.

cosmania

Gitty Up!
pilot
Look, relative to the safety culture in NASA, I'd probably be drinking too. I mean, who wants to be conscious when your aircraft goes all to pieces sans ejection seat?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
*Sigh* :) ... how did they get alcohol??? .... from the mouths of babes :) ... and check your FAR's for 8 hour bottle-to-throttle rules. Or is it within 50 feet of the aircraft ... ??? I never could remember ....

My favorite quote was from grizzled A-5 driver: no drinking within sight of the aircraft to which he added..as long as aircraft doesn't see me, I'm good to go

Obviously, that doesn't fly anymore (no pun intended)

Gotta be the first one because we used to carry it by the case in our a/c whenever we could get away with it.

As to how they got it, I thought that it was a requirement now to let them strap people in that thing. I know it would be for me, but then I typically don't let people play with my life for sport.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
As to how they got it, I thought that it was a requirement now to let them strap people in that thing. I know it would be for me, but then I typically don't let people play with my life for sport.

Respectfully... Uh... What?...

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Yeah, theres never any alcohol around aviators, never ;) Especially on ship, never, ever :D Thus, there wouldn't be any around for a NASA astronaut to drink either :)

Status
Not open for further replies.