• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Driving to Texas

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
Does anyone know if the I-10W is safe to drive from P'cola to Fort Hood/Killeen? I'm not sure what the current status is with the gas situation if I were to drive through Louisiana so I was hoping someone might throw in some gouge on the current status. Thanks.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
Check the Louisiania DOT sites...they should have all the up to date information and if the roads are even open or not.

NOLA => LA ~ 3 hours to N.O.

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
Don't go 10 all the way to SA, you could probably find a shorter cutoff route up to Austin and 35 to get to Ft Hood. My roommate drove it from Houston to Pcola a couple weeks ago with no problems.

hourocket

Bullseye
None
Um, why not 10 all the way to SA? Its a straight shot, going to Austin seems out of the way to me. I live in Houston and drive to SA a few times, and i-10 seems the way to go.

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
Um, why not 10 all the way to SA? Its a straight shot, going to Austin seems out of the way to me. I live in Houston and drive to SA a few times, and i-10 seems the way to go.

Yes, but he's going to Ft Hood, north of Austin. 35 kind of bends back around to the east north of SA.

Grant

To cut the corner off and bypass San Antonio, you have a couple options. From I-10 in Houston, you could take US 290 to I-35 in Austin. Or you could go past Houston, and take Highway 71 north from I-10 around Columbus to I-35 in Austin.

snizo

Supply Officer
I drove from Corpus Christi to Pensacola (via Houston) a bit over a week ago. No problems, and only one spot with a fuel shortage. When I was pretty close to the TX/LA border (on the TX side), there was this one spot around 2 miles long where traffic was stopped for no reason and the cops were directing traffic at the one gas station in the middle of it. Use the access roads if you need to - you can fly right by everyone ;) 5 miles before and after that one spot, everything was normal, but traffic did get a bit heavy periodically (without much of a slowdown).

Just give yourself a bigger buffer with gas than you usually do. I made sure to try and fill up at around a 1/2 tank and was just fine.

snow85

Come on, the FBI would have given him twins!
take 10 to 290 to 35. 35 will take you straight into killeen.. and if you keep going, ft. hood. used to drive up (through) there all the time. admittedly, it's killen, so i never did stop. you might get caught behind a 35mph convoy between austin and ft. hood, but they know what a headache that is and usually let you pass.

(god... get off of 10 as soon as you can in houston. time it so that you don't hit rush hour.)

gas in houston is ~2.89 regular unleaded right now. plan to pay more since you'll be right on the freeways.