• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

DUI dropped to reckless

pjk

I'm interested in becoming an officer in either the air force or navy. However, a couple of years ago I was arrested for a dui that of which I fought with lawyer and it was dropped to a reckless. Is it an automatic denial with this type of charge in my background?
Profile:
Degree from Ga Tech in Business
GPA 3.26
Age 30

exNavyOffRec

The DUI can be waived, it will be viewed as a DUI because that was what the original charge was, but your biggest issue is your age, the only designators you qualify for would be IDC, and they look for tech degrees for the most part, and they look for any reason to turn a guy down, since they have selection rates about 10% they can be selective.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Looking at your info, don't waste your time applying. Sorry to sound harsh, but with a 3.2 GPA and a DUI, there isn't any officer programs available to you.

pjk

I never got charged with a DUI, just arrested initially but then went to court and it was dropped.

I never got charged with a DUI, just arrested initially but then went to court and it was dropped.
I can give you some personal experience on this matter. I was arrested on suspicion of DUI during holiday weekend police saturation. The case was dismissed because I was not drunk. No trial, no lawyers, no pre-trial intervention. No charges whatsoever. I still had to write lengthy handwritten statements about this incident. I still had to check the "have you ever been arrested" box. Outside of an 'infraction' ticket and 7 year old $100 speeding ticket my record was perfect. However, I still got dinged twice for SWO, NFO, and SNA. I'm not saying don't apply, but be realistic, and have a backup plan. Consider other branches as well. If you do go forward, study very hard and score over a 60 on the OAR. It seems like merely being accused of DUI, regardless of whether or not you were proven guilty is all they care about. You can get charged with a DUI leaving choir practice, and it will still look bad. Just the way it is I guess.

As for air force, I know it is also very competitive. Getting a pilot slot is especially tough. They will have you take the AFOQT. The hardest part about that test for me was the time limit. Definitely felt rushed. If you want Army OCS they will make you take the ASVAB. However, you may want to consider their warrant officer program.

Last edited:

pjk

I dont want to become a pilot just simply an officer in the navy or air force. So youre saying that even for a nonpilot role, air force would be harder than the navy? Are they at least more flexible on the age?

exNavyOffRec

I dont want to become a pilot just simply an officer in the navy or air force. So youre saying that even for a nonpilot role, air force would be harder than the navy? Are they at least more flexible on the age?

your age would probably be an issue in the USAF as well, and they are in the process of releasing AFROTC cadets that want out with no obligation to reduce the number of those being commissioned, so even if age wasn't an issue figure the odds when they are trying to reduce numbers.

According to their website you have to be commissioned before 35, so yes they seem more flexible. I don't know about how hard they would be selection-wise. Based on conversations with the recruiters in my area, it seems they are at least as selective if not harder than the Navy. When I spoke with them they were looking to fill only one or two designators. I think Army OCS has the highest selection rate and USCG the lowest.