• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Dumb questions about helos

Timmy

Capt. America
Ok so I was wondering if the navy has any special forces units for helos like how the army has nightstalkers, I was wondering because I want to know who is lucky enough to get to fly the seals around and do those type of missions. My second question ( this is were the dumb comes into play ) do helo pilots get to were flight jackets like the fighter pilots do? I know they both were flight suits but what about jackets? Thanks

MasterBates

Grammar and proper punctuation are your friends.

Yes, we do have NSW Centric squadrons. HSC-84/85.

Yes, helo guys do wear jackets. Why wouldn't they? Everyone wears them, sometimes even SWOs who have no business with them.

Lastly, use the search button. It's great for stupid questions, and may keep my sarcasm in check a bit longer.

Timmy

Capt. America
How do you get selected for those units? I've tried searching for information about the units but I've had no luck

MasterBates

You have to rush them. Pretty much nobody goes straight there from flight school. (there are exceptions, but very rare, and if you are asking, probably won't be you).

Also, fill out your profile with some real information so we know something about who we are talking to... High Schooler who saw Top Gun one too many times, College Student who is failing English Composition 101 for the fourth time, etc.

Just a friendly warning from the Mod Squad.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
How do you get selected for those units? I've tried searching for information about the units but I've had no luck

These two units are in the Navy Reserves. The Navy Reserve doesn't "make" pilots, they have people who are already qualified naval aviators join the Reserves after leaving Active Duty.

So, if you want to fly with HSC-84 or 85, then you will need to get into flight school through the Naval Academy, ROTC, OCS or one of the other commissioning sources. Complete flight school and fulfill you commitment that you incur for going through flight school in the Active Duty Navy. While in flight school, you need to be selected for helos. (Not hard, but occasionally there have been guys who wanted helos, but got something else.)

When your commitment is up, you can resign from the Active Navy and apply to the Reserves. This is where you "rush" the unit like MB talked about. The squadron has a say in who joins it, so you want to make sure you are a known to the squadron so they can request you by name. They unit won't have much information on how to join it on its webpage since you transfer into those units from the Active Duty Navy (for pilots).

If you want to enlist in the Navy Reserves and get trained on a skill set that the squadron needs, then you could probably go to it without having been on active duty, but for pilots, you will usually need to be an Active Duty Navy pilot first and then transfer into the Reserves.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
These two units are in the Navy Reserves. The Navy Reserve doesn't "make" pilots, they have people who are already qualified naval aviators join the Reserves after leaving Active Duty.

So, if you want to fly with HSC-84 or 85, then you will need to get into flight school through the Naval Academy, ROTC, OCS or one of the other commissioning sources. Complete flight school and fulfill you commitment that you incur for going through flight school in the Active Duty Navy. While in flight school, you need to be selected for helos. (Not hard, but occasionally there have been guys who wanted helos, but got something else.)

When your commitment is up, you can resign from the Active Navy and apply to the Reserves. This is where you "rush" the unit like MB talked about. The squadron has a say in who joins it, so you want to make sure you are a known to the squadron so they can request you by name. They unit won't have much information on how to join it on its webpage since you transfer into those units from the Active Duty Navy (for pilots).

If you want to enlist in the Navy Reserves and get trained on a skill set that the squadron needs, then you could probably go to it without having been on active duty, but for pilots, you will usually need to be an Active Duty Navy pilot first and then transfer into the Reserves.

This is all good gouge. One extra bit of info...

-84 has, and I believe -85 will start, Individual Augments that pop up for REGNAV guys. They're not quite like the regular IAs that everyone dreads, but there have been and still are quite a few Active Component pilots augmenting the squadron(s). That said, you still have to do all the above that helolumpy said, finish your first sea tour, finish your shore tour and then you might get a shot of going there...if they're still around by the time you're eligible, of course.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
This is old gouge. 84 and 85 are part of the active/reserve integration hoo-ha and you can head there after your first sea tour.

llnick2001

it’s just malfeasance for malfeasance’s sake
pilot
84 and 85 are now on the same nom form as the HT's, RAGs, WWS ect. We (I'm in 85) also have active duty DH's now. Most of our active duty LT's are disassociated sea tour time frame, but there are a few like me that are straight out of the first sea tour.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Didn't realize they were second tour guys now. As of ~1.5 years ago, the guys I ran into were still disassociated timeframe.

llnick2001

it’s just malfeasance for malfeasance’s sake
pilot
Most still are. I think it's just me and 2 others plus one on the way that are second tour.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Still, good deal, as long as you're cool with deploying...again...eventually.