• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Duty Stations

XeroJaeger

Hey all,
Quick question(s) regarding inter-school choices and duty stations. First - At what point do you make a choice about what branch of aviation is desired? That is, attack air, helo, etc? I want to fly helos as it is, just don't know when I'll have to say that officially. Second - I know that training for helo pilots is at Whiting field in Milton (outside of Pensacola), FL. What I don't know is this - Will I be at NAS, for how long, and how long will I be at Whiting? Last, if anyone would be so kind, is this - After training for my 2 years or so at Whiting, where is the helo first duty station?

-X.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Hey all,
Quick question(s) regarding inter-school choices and duty stations. First - At what point do you make a choice about what branch of aviation is desired? That is, attack air, helo, etc? I want to fly helos as it is, just don't know when I'll have to say that officially. Second - I know that training for helo pilots is at Whiting field in Milton (outside of Pensacola), FL. What I don't know is this - Will I be at NAS, for how long, and how long will I be at Whiting? Last, if anyone would be so kind, is this - After training for my 2 years or so at Whiting, where is the helo first duty station?

-X.

You'll pick helos or not-helos at the end of primary. You can possibly do primary at NASWF, but you may also go to Corpus Christi or Vance AFB. If you go helos, you'll get winged at NASWF, and then to the FRS... which depends on which helo community you select.

Brief overview from the guy in back. I'll let some of the helo bubbas get into specifics. Hope it helps,

Bubba

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Order of things:

API- 6 weeks at NAS Pensacola
Primary- 6-8 months at Whiting, Corpus, or Vance AFB, then you select Rotary, Maritime, or Tailhook
Advanced- for Helos its 6-7 months at Whiting, then you wing/select your community
FRS- however long your sylabus is, squadrons are in Jacksonville, Norfolk and San Diego
Sea Tour- big helo hubs are Jacksonville, Norfolk, and San Diego, opportunity for Hawaii, Japan and Guam as well

Hope that helps

XeroJaeger

Bubba, Noze, I appreciate the replies. That does help. What will determine if I end up at Whiting, Corpus, or Vance?

-X.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
OH06ReadingLeaves2.jpg

...they'll ask for preferences at API.