• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

E-2C Cockpit Layout

Notso07

None
I'm writing a paper for my military avionics class on the E-2C's package. Part of that includes cockpit layout. What are some annoying things or design flaws that you E-2 guys would change? Anything that is pretty much thought of as a bad idea across the board? Thanks a lot, this is part of the information they don't tell you in the specs.

MasterBates

Paging Goober.....
Hes a TubeRat but he can probably relay what the pilots bitch about.

Do we have ANY E2 Pilots here? There are quite a few COD guys, but I can't recall an E2 pilot..

Tom

pilot
Contributor
There is one I know for sure because he PM'ed me a while back about an E-2 question.

I'm guessing the first main complaint is the lacks of guns and missiles.

MasterBates

Lack of hovering is not a source of complaint for me.. Gaurantees I won't be breakign down and spending the night on a smallboy.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Paging Goober.....

The "moles" bitch about having one butt cheek go numb after awhile to the point of a leg going to sleep...the E-2D model with aerial refuelling will make that even worse...not exactly an avionics issue though

Lawman

None
The "moles" bitch about having one butt cheek go numb after awhile to the point of a leg going to sleep...the E-2D model with aerial refuelling will make that even worse...not exactly an avionics issue though

Im guessing this is from the aircrafts cruising AOA causing the floor not to be totally level and the bodys natural equalibrium making you sit cockeyed?

Am I close, or do NFO's just have really really oversized left ass cheeks for some reason?

MasterBates

I think a nice fat subcontract to Oregon Aero could help..

Their stuff WORKS

(And you NAVAIR NAZIs STFU, you can't get seat slap if it's not an ejection seat, I fought that battle in HSL Land when I was the PR DIVO)

phrogpilot73

(And you NAVAIR NAZIs STFU, you can't get seat slap if it's not an ejection seat, I fought that battle in HSL Land when I was the PR DIVO)
It seems to me that it might add like 1/2 a G to the seat stroke as well ;) I never flew without an Oregon Aero seat cushion. Except in Iraq, and I used the Cool Seat that our Flight E got ahold of. Maintains a 70 degree posterior for 3 hours... Very nice!

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Being a former COD pilot, I don't really have an answer. One might be that their needles (for ACLS or AACS) aren't on their attitude gyro like in the COD. At least that was my understanding. They were down on the CDI. I could be wrong on this one so don't quote me. I've flown both Case III and night passes with inop needles on the gryo while using the CDI needles. The CDI is down near the right knee. Not easy to do at first.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
Dont qoute me on this one but I seem to remember hearing an issue about their RADALT (AGL altimeter). Instead of getting an audible tone they get an obnoxious light that can be quite the distraction at night.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Dont qoute me on this one but I seem to remember hearing an issue about their RADALT (AGL altimeter). Instead of getting an audible tone they get an obnoxious light that can be quite the distraction at night.

This is true, same as the COD. No tone, just a little yellow light from the RADALT down in the left hand corner. Always wanted to kick the engineers who designed these cockpits in the nuts.

MasterBates

Oh GREAT.. Now I have to look Down and Left instead of Up and Right for the RADALT.... It's true... Everything IS backawards from helos..

We had annoying beeps and a light in the 60B

Notso07

None
Thanks for all your responses, think I managed to write a halfway decent paper. 2 weeks of class left and 2 more papers to write before commissioning.

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
Paging Goober.....

Do we have ANY E2 Pilots here? There are quite a few COD guys, but I can't recall an E2 pilot..

Sorry...wasn't sleeping, I swear. We just got moved into our new house and getting the computer set up hasn't been at the top of the list. Glad to hear the paper went ok.

We've complained for years about the AOA while flying (and the seat in general). At least we've got an ass-lean lever on the side of our seats (it's true - no BS) to help compensate. The physiology guys have come out, put sensors in the seats to measure vibration (re: the Oregon Aero argument), etc. Don't think anything ever came of it [likely "It all checked good when we measured it..."]. The new props help a lot - significantly less vibe and noise. Doesn't even require a prop synchrophaser anymore.