• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

EA-18G "Growler" Info

Status
Not open for further replies.

BFisher

Cessna 152 Ace
I have been reading a lot of questions about it so...

g01lhs.jpg

"The Boeing Co. received a contract for a system design and development (S&D) of the EA-18G, an airborne electronic attack aircraft based on the F/A-18F. The five-year S&D programs runs from FY 04 until FY 09, and includes labratory, ground testing and flight testing"

- Page 7 of Naval Aviation News March-April 04'

BFisher

Cessna 152 Ace
The one in the picture? Yes im assuming... I dont think they could have a fully operational one up and running yet. Maybe im wrong. *shrugs*

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
That thing is a monster. I wonder what the Marines are going to do with it, since we're not getting the F-18E/F, and our EA-6Bs are wearing out. It wouldn't be a good idea logistically to go with a new platform when the idea is to reduce the number of different airframes for logistical and commonality issues. At the same time, the JSF is single seat, and I don't think they've done any serious work on an EW variant with it. They also have to change the "Growler" name. It's a bad idea to name an aircraft after a number 2 in the head.

BFisher

Cessna 152 Ace
hehe patmack I was gonna post that too (on the same page of the magazine).

While on the topic... I was looking for a website for the Naval Aviation News magazine and I found one but it looks as if it has not been updates in like..5 years. I was looking for the cover photo of the march 04' issue. The picture of the two F14s zooming by each other - would make a nice background.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The pictures and movies that you see of the EA-18 are only Boeing owned F/A-18F's that they have put pods on and painted up in VAQ colors, I have seen one in RAG colors and the first photo is of one in the reserve squadron colors. Just doing that does not make an EA-18, you got to change the guts too. They are no full up EA-18's and will not be for another few years. The plan right now is to start converting operational squadrons over at the end of the decade and convert all the squadrons over in about 3 years. Boeing was just doing a pretty good sales job of trying to sell the EA-18 to the Navy. They would leave all the Prowler guys drooling when they would bring by the Super Hornet sim and plane.

NeoCortex

Castle Law for all States!!!
pilot
Flash,
From what I read, the only guts that's being changed is that the Nose cannon is being taken out and an information sweet put in. The rest of the frame should just be a super hornet.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Actually, aren't they yanking the sidewinder rails off the wingtips and putting EW receivers there, too, a la the Prowler "football"?

Phrogdriver, I was stashed at VMAQ-4 last summer, and what the aircrew there told me was that when the Navy buys the EA-18G, the Corps is going to take their pick of the Navy's best Prowlers and keep flying those until they wear out too. Granted, that's Marine gouge coming from a Navy Ensign, so feel free to take it with as much salt as necessary! :icon_tong

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I can't go into too much detail, mainly because I don't know a lot of them, but it is a little more involved than just taking out the gun and putting in a box or 2, like the wingtip thingies (nice technical term). I don't think the complete internal equipment suite has been decided yet but it will be quite a bit different than an F. The backseat cockpit will look a bit different as well. They are actually starting to make the F's so that they can be converted into G's but I understand that once you change an F into a G you cannot change it back.

As for the Marines, they have not made a decision on what the hell they are going to do. They don't have a whole heck of a lot of money and most of that is going to the V-22 and JSF. There has even been talk of letting VMAQ die out, which would be a shame because the Marines have a strong history of pioneering tactical EA when it was an afterthought to the AF and the Navy. As for the Marines being the only ones flying the Prowler, they would take the added cost of the logistics trail when the Navy gets rid of them, which costs a lot of money. To do that for only 20 planes, it would soon be cost prohibitive for a 45 year old plane. I think they would end up either getting the EA-18 or letting manned VMAQ die with the Prowler.

Status
Not open for further replies.