• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

EA-6B Prowler Novel

Jaco

Hi, i'm from Italy. I read this forum since a while, although never post anything until now.
Being Military Aviation addicted i found this board very interesting.
I'm a thriller-book author in Italy with three books already published and i'm writing a new one about U.s. Navy aviation. The story is focused in particular about Ea-6b and their deployment in Iraqi freedom operations.
I would be very grateful to anybody who could help me in resolving some technical issue. I know already that some of my questions may be stupid or obvious and some other could be inappropriate and for this reason i apologize in advance.
Also i would be very grateful to anybody who wish to share some particular experience about this wonderful plane.
I'm curious not only about flying issue, but also about the ECMOs Job, although, again, i understand that many related issue could be not releasable and thus not be shared.

So up to now, i've already a major curiosity to ask: I've read on Open sources that some Navy planes has an ACLS who may assist the pilot in manouvering during the final approach to the carrier deck. According to what i've read, this system is capable to land the aircraft itself without any action by the pilot.
So if it's correct and ACLS may autoland, is this system often used nowadays or the "standard Operating procedure" is still the manual approach?

Another issue, this time about ECMOs Job. I've read that a Prowler may fly missions with a crew of only three aviators (Pilot & two ECMOs NFO) is this also right? I mean, in theory it would be possible to operate a prowler with a crew of only three officers?

I would like to ask other question but i'll pause here, while waiting for your kind feedback.
Tnx again for any sort of help you may provide.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Jaco. I'll entertain a discussion with you on this topic if you first forward me a copy of the working outline for your novel (English please).

Brett

Jaco

Jaco,
Have you read "Ironclaw" by "Tank" Sherman Baldwin? It sounds similar to what you want to do except it was Desert Storm.

-ea6bflyr ;)

No, i haven't. Tnx for point at it, I will definitely look for it. Since i'm not an aviator, my idea is more about a fictional story rather than an essay or a collection of true story. About Navy Fiction i've read Clancy, Di mercurio, Robinson and in particular Stephen Coonts Flight Of the Intruders, intruder and last flight (that why i'm so fascinated about Ea-6b:). I do not plan to be more accurate than them (will be of no interest for non professional readers) so my questions are more focused about background and so to avoid Huge mistake like saying that Ea-6 fly at mach 2.0 while "everybody" should know it's not. Of course many of this info are already available but something sound strange to me (like the crew of three) and that's why i ask:)
Tnx for your attention anyway.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No, i haven't. Tnx for point at it, I will definitely look for it. Since i'm not an aviator, my idea is more about a fictional story rather than an essay or a collection of true story.
You could always make it into a children's story.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Hi, i'm from Italy. .... I would like to ask other question but i'll pause here, while waiting ...
Buon giorno -- I've got a question:

... what's better in pasta sauce?? Sausage or meatballs ... ???

Ciao.

Jaco

Ciao.

Ciao.

Personally, my favourite is carbonara spaghetti. the ingredients are: eggs (scrambled into pasta when still hot), bacon, black pepper and two kind of parmesan-like cheese. Meatballs are usually buried under lasagna foil. For many people "good pasta sauce" is as simple as with red tomato, a spoon of olive oil and just a dust of parmesan cheese.
Just abominable is when i see some tourists - many to tell you the truth!- asking for Ketchup sauce-spaghetti! Never ask for that here in my country, though some open heart waiter may try to please you anyway.
Now... if my request sounds like a "Ketchup spaghetti" (=abominable), for OPSEC or other good reasons... if it's so, please just tell me. I will drop the subject and apologize.

Ciao ciao