• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

EMALS for my friends...no more steam catapults for CVN-78

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
USS Gerald Ford will not have steam catapults and therefore be the first aircraft carrier to use the new electrically powered catapults under development as EMALS.

Lonestar155

is good to go
The article states EMAL will push aircraft aloft smoothly.
Not that I know what it feels like to under-go a catshot, but I wouldn't call it a benefit if I someday ever 'smoothly roll off the deck.' I've looked forward to shooting off the deck with a crap load of steam hurling me off that deck.
Thats Bullishhht,

phrogpilot73

Not that I know what it feels like to under-go a catshot, but I wouldn't call it a benefit if I someday ever 'smoothly roll off the deck.' I've looked forward to sliding off the deck with a crap load of collective lifting me off that deck.
Thats Bullishhht,
Fixed it for you.

robav8r

None
Contributor
Not that I know what it feels like to under-go a catshot, but I wouldn't call it a benefit if I someday ever 'smoothly roll off the deck.' I've looked forward to shooting off the deck with a crap load of steam hurling me off that deck.
Thats Bullishhht,

Oh, don't worry, you'll get your required endspeed. And that my friend, is no bullishhht !!!
;)

milky-f18

loud-mouthed, know-it-all
Despite the drunken post, there is something to what he says. When you take a shot from a carrier like the Connie and then go to a Nimitz class, the smoothness of the Nimitz class can already make you feel like you're not going to get airborne. It may totally disorient you at night into the abyss, but there is something comforting having the sledgehammer slam into your backside. Of course, everybody will just get used to it, and it won't make a bit of difference.

Flugelman

Contributor
Reminds me of the story my Step-dad tells about his first launch in an F-9 on a hydraulic cat. He had made deck launches in prop driven planes but the drill for a cat shot was new to him. He said "I saluted the launch officer and the next thing I knew, I was saluting the bow of the boat!" :eek:

Another link here that addresses (or questions) the effects of all the magnetics involved. Kind of long, read down to EMALS towards end of the article. Interesting questions...

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
Off topic, sort of, but for as long as I can remember it has always bothered me when people didn't take the time to properly identify a jet in a photo. How many times have we all see the F-15/F-14/F18 etc be called the wrong thing? Journalists....sheesh.

nugget81

pilot
Off topic, sort of, but for as long as I can remember it has always bothered me when people didn't take the time to properly identify a jet in a photo. How many times have we all see the F-15/F-14/F18 etc be called the wrong thing? Journalists....sheesh.

Or even in a movie that people spent millions to make...

GroundPounder

In the media this is how it works;

General aviation prop planes are all Piper Cubs.

Any non airline jet is a Lear Jet.

Most crashes are the result of the engine stalling.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah, kinda puts the credibility of the whole article in question, huh? :confused:

Oh well...

What really puts the credibility of the article into question is the horrible schematic of how the catapult works. Not even close.

Attachments

• 2006_4_33.jpg
    2006_4_33.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 75

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You mean F-4s aren't supposed to rotate halfway down the cat stroke? And get pulled along by their mainmounts?:icon_tong