• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Embry-Riddle?

STARFlight145

Hello folks,

I have a few quick questions regarding ERAU. I've already been accepted, but I was wondering if their 2006 NROTC slots were already completely full? I visited the Daytona campus in late October of last year and I was told that their slots fill up rather quickly.

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
Congrats on being accepted.

Im a senior in nrotc at erau so feel free to pm me for questions. Are you talking about overall slots???? If you are, you dont need to worry about that. There is no maximum number for nrotc that I know of and if there is, we are no where near it. Give the unit a call and get squared away so you can do the summer orientation with us (late august).

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
Star, if you are talking about scholarship slots I heard we have a pretty large waitlist. The only school that fills up faster than we do is Georgetown. However, my friend was in the same situation last year and even though he was pretty far down the list others ahead of him had committed to other schools or made other plans and he ended up getting in. So give it a shot, what do you have to lose? Just make sure to have a contingency plan!

STARFlight145

Sounds like I gotta cross my fingers and hope people commit to schools other than Embry-Riddle. Either way, it all depends on whether or not I get an NROTC scholarship...like Jtellez told us, I hope to find out real soon!

I'll PM some of you ERAU guys with some more questions here soon.'

Are you talking about overall slots???? If you are, you dont need to worry about that. There is no maximum number for nrotc that I know of and if there is, we are no where near it. Give the unit a call and get squared away so you can do the summer orientation with us (late august).

Yes, I was talking about overall NROTC slots at Embry-Riddle. So there is no maximum? I guess I'll have to give you a call to find out the ERAU NROTC slot status.

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
STARFlight145 said:
Sounds like I gotta cross my fingers and hope people commit to schools other than Embry-Riddle. Either way, it all depends on whether or not I get an NROTC scholarship...like Jtellez told us, I hope to find out real soon!

I'll PM some of you ERAU guys with some more questions here soon.'

Yes, I was talking about overall NROTC slots at Embry-Riddle. So there is no maximum? I guess I'll have to give you a call to find out the ERAU NROTC slot status.

I think he considers overall slots CP + Scholarship + Advance Standing. The Navy limits how many scholarship spots are given out to each unit per year. Give the unit a call though and get some information. Here is a link that might help you! Either way, get the ball rolling if you are interested in the Summer Orientation. They require some advance notice to reserve you a spot!

http://www.eraunrotc.org/

STARFlight145

Well fellas, I don't even know if Embry-Riddle is an option for me anymore.

Selection Status

We are sorry, you were not selected for a scholarship. You will receive a letter explaining other options available to you.

ERAU is more money than I can afford without an NROTC scholarship.

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
STARFlight145 said:
Well fellas, I don't even know if Embry-Riddle is an option for me anymore.

ERAU is more money than I can afford without an NROTC scholarship.

Hey, I understand how it goes... I was in the same position last year. I couldn't afford ERAU without the Navy so I went to a state school, got good grades first semester, retook the ACT and then I got selected the next year for an NROTC scholarship. Don't let this get you down by any stretch! Prove to the Navy that you deserve this with your first semester at college ( a time when a lot of freshman tend to slack off and enjoy the many pleasures of college! ) Good luck, and if you have any questions PM me and I'll see if I can give you more advice.

STARFlight145

Just found out that ER isn't out of the running just yet. Got a call from the Navy Federal Credit Union and found out that they're giving me a very large student loan.

I might be able to enter ER as an NROTC programmer and get picked up a year or two down the line for the scholarship.

Never say never, I guess!:icon_smil

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
Well the other campus has very few hot girls, is in a trashy city, and you don't have to experience BCR. *shiver* If you PT'ed with us during our off-campus runs you would be amazed at the number of times you have to call out " Obstacle, Bum on the right " silly homeless people don't get out of the way!

STARFlight145

Ok, I have a few quick questions about terminology that I'm not yet aware of...

Just stay away from the 'Deck and you'll save a bunch of money. Enjoy BCR too.

What is the deck and what is BCR?

I'm at the wrong ERAU campus...in the middle of nowhere with not hot girls or NROTC...god bless BDCP!! I love it!

Are you in Arizona? And what is BDCP?

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
BCR: Black College Reunion (a week during spring break when you stay at home.......)

Deck: The full name is "flight deck" and thats what the main cafeteria is called (i know.....really gay name). The meal plans are a big rip off

BDCP:Baccalaureate Degree Completion Program (thread link)

hawke

STARFlight145 said:
Just found out that ER isn't out of the running just yet. Got a call from the Navy Federal Credit Union and found out that they're giving me a very large student loan.

I might be able to enter ER as an NROTC programmer and get picked up a year or two down the line for the scholarship.

Never say never, I guess!:icon_smil

Be careful of the loans! They add up quick. ERAU is a great school to get flight training, but if you want to be a navy pilot there are some much cheaper routes. The last thing you want after commissioning are huge student loan bills for the next 20 years. You can still get that pilot spot working your ass off at a state school with an ROTC program. You dont need prior flight time to kick as in flight school, although it does help a little. If you still want flight time before you get to Pensacola (your first stop in training), find a good FBO (field base operation) and get your private and maybe some insturment training. Good Luck.

Mules, they will just about give a commission to anyone now? Congratulations, sorry I missed it.

KTBQ

Naval Radiator
pilot
Go to a normal college, do NROTC. It's probably cheaper and a whole lot more fun. Despite what anyone says, NROTC is easy and requires minimal effort. Show up a couple times a week for drill/PT, clean up a football stadium or two. Drink beer and chase tail the rest of the time. No problem. Picking up the scholarship is not that hard. Show some enthusiasm, get some good grades, and you will most likely get a 3 year scholarship. Going to Embry Riddle and getting flight time there doesn't mean sh1t in the long run. You're going to have to relearn how to fly in primary, and this time with an instructor's boot up your arse. The guy at Eastern Bumfvck State NROTC with a 3.0 GPA in art history but doesn't know what an aileron is has the exact same chance of selecting pilot as an Embry Riddle NROTC grad with a 3.0 GPA and PPL and instrument ratings.

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
Mefesto said:
I was actually reffering to the Ocean Deck, a bar beach side at which I spent many a student loans at. If you don't know where the 'Deck is, you wasted all that time in Daytona!

Roger that. I was there last thursday.