• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Evergreen State College

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legionnare

Anybody know much about this school? It's suppossed to have great Science and Technical facilities due to good funding vs. small number of students.

Also, they don't have a GPA system which makes me wonder how this would be viewed by OCS. They give you "narrative evaluations", You'd still have a B.S. Degree, from what's recognize as one of the top learning institutions in the nation. Any thoughts?

Would a degree from this "hippie" school be frown upon by USMC OCS, or any other OCS for that matter??? :D :D

www.evergreen.edu

Kycntryboy

pilot
My thought would be that the board would prefer gpa because it is the way that 99% of College institutions use, so it's an equal playing field. Kind of like how they make you take the ASTB and you getting a write up telling the board you know this stuff good. Besides that I'm not exactly sure I could be wrong on this, but I would believe they would like to standardize anything they can and gpa should be there, I would talk to an OSO about that one.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have to wonder about a college that has Mumia-al-Jabar as their gradutiaon speaker. It was either by phone or tape because he is in jail.

As for getting into OCS, as long as the school gives out accredited degrees I don't think it would be a problem.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Although this school may meet the requirement by granting you a BS, it doesn't mean you'll be competitive. Part of a competitive package these days is a good GPA. Not to mention I'd hate to see what a transcript from that school would look like.

jad1

I know of this school and it's not well respected in the local business community. Most people make jokes about it, and many employers specfically won't hire graduates from Evergreen b/c of the whole GPA thing, etc. Of course I have no idea what the board would think. Anyhow, that's just my 2 cents.

thumper

Also figure that you have to get some letters of rec, a couple of which you may want from professors. I had a retired SWO and an ex-CIA officer on my faculty. WHo do you think is on the faculty at Evergreen? Would any of them be willing to help you out?

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Evergreen is one of the most liberal universities in the nation. I'd hate to be you asking Professor Marx for a letter of recommendation, or you coming back with a shaved head after PLC one summer. I think your mates would be less than supportive of your quest, which may or may not affect you.

Status
Not open for further replies.