• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Extraction Video

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
It's a Chinook - and I believe the Army guys do these fresh water landings not infrequently in the '47.

Pretty cool - I wonder if the boat is a standard RHIB or something special to fit in the back of the CH-47...

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
That's fvcking nuts...

@Chuck... that looked like a standard issue RHIB to me...

Any of you Phrog guys ever do anything similar?

FastMover

NFO
None
It's a Chinook - and I believe the Army guys do these fresh water landings not infrequently in the '47.

Pretty cool - I wonder if the boat is a standard RHIB or something special to fit in the back of the CH-47...

About two or three years ago some Army CH-47s from the 160th SOAR were doing fresh water landings across the lake from my house over at Camp Blanding National Guard base. They would sit them down in the water just as pretty as you please, the boats would drive on, and they would take back off with water rushing out the back. I shot some video of it...if I can figure out how to load it I'll put it on here for ya'll.

dodge

You can do anything once.
pilot
that'd be some fun flying. i always love the comments section on these video sites though...."the video is probably being played in reverse". oh kids.

AFCCT

Boat

That is NOT a RHIB. It is a Zodiac boat. It could be Army, Navy, Marines or Air Force in the boat. It is a CH-47 flown by probably the Army's SOAR 160th.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That is NOT a RHIB. It is a Zodiac boat. It could be Army, Navy, Marines or Air Force in the boat. It is a CH-47 flown by probably the Army's SOAR 160th.
Zodiac is a name brand. By definition, the boat in this video is a RHIB.

skidz

adrenaline junky
I don't think the air force CCT knows what RHIB stands for. Too much time away from the water.

Boats

It is actually a crrc in Navy speak, not a rhib or Zodiac. Probably has either a roll up aluminum floor or an inflatable floor so technically not a rigid hull. Details, details I know.

jgl1974

I believe a RHIB is the 36' boat used by the Special Boat Teams. You would refer to that as a zodiac if you were on of those cats riding it. You couldn't fit the RHIB in the helo...

hscs

pilot
RHIB -- Rigid Hull Inflatable Boat -- the bottom is typically fiberglass while the sides are inflatable. Not something you want driving in the back of a helo, especially since most RHIBs have a V bow section.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
RHIB -- Rigid Hull Inflatable Boat -- the bottom is typically fiberglass while the sides are inflatable. Not something you want driving in the back of a helo, especially since most RHIBs have a V bow section.

Steve, hscs has got it. It's not a RHIB if it has an inflatable keel.

AFCCT

It is actually a crrc in Navy speak, not a rhib or Zodiac. Probably has either a roll up aluminum floor or an inflatable floor so technically not a rigid hull. Details, details I know.

Like you said details, details. CRRC sounds better but Zodiac makes some of them. I think it something like RF-470.