• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Eyesight Question

Superclub

pilot
I received an NROTC scholarship for next year, and plan on applying for SNA after college;however, in my boot camp physical I got 20/20 left eye and 20/24 right eye. Will this disqualify me from flying?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I received an NROTC scholarship for next year, and plan on applying for SNA after college;however, in my boot camp physical I got 20/20 left eye and 20/24 right eye. Will this disqualify me from flying?

No, but I recommend you review the various threads/posts about this subject. Then, if you have specific, original questions, we'll be happy to help you with them. ;)

Brett

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
You may fly but ejection seat aircraft.....jets.....will be out of the question.

FLY_USMC

pilot
Yeah, if it's not 20/20 these days, they are pigeonholing the partially blind like yourself into P-3's only. Still a good life, but, something to think about.

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
Usually the threads that are extremely common (like eyesight) are met with sarcastic replies... but I am curious, are they really sticking those without 20/20 natural, into P-3s/Helos? Not that there is anything wrong with those communities, only that this is the first I have heard of that.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor

Well ... I got 20/40 left and 20/20 right ... disqualified me from my principal appointment to the Boat School and the 4-year NROTC scholarship program which I had been accepted into ..... no magic eye surgeries available back-in-the-day.

I went NROTC "contract" ... was going to go Marine as I thought flying was just a dream .... got picked up for the remainder of the 4 year scholarship program @ the end of my freshman year .... and got into the flight program with a "shakey" 20/20 left and 20/20 right. And I do mean ... shakey.

THEN ... my eyes got "better" ... and better ... and today, despite the advanced stage of decay that I find myself in ... I still read 20/15 left and 20/10 right on a "good day" .... 20/20 any day .... and near vision is 20/20 on a "good" day ... :)

Today ??? I've got over 20,000 hours of flight time in several logbooks today ... military and civilian .... mostly jets .... now how's that for eyesight???

The moral of the story???

Don't give up and don't cave in ... there's always a better day.

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
Usually the threads that are extremely common (like eyesight) are met with sarcastic replies... but I am curious, are they really sticking those without 20/20 natural, into P-3s/Helos? Not that there is anything wrong with those communities, only that this is the first I have heard of that.

No.

USMC_NA

What percent get jets? If I got good scores on the ASTB what's the chance I'll get F-18's? Which is better, helos or jets? Which is better Vance, Whiting, or Corpus Christi? Does everyone at Vance get jets? How can I succeed at API?................just kidding

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What percent get jets? If I got good scores on the ASTB what's the chance I'll get F-18's? Which is better, helos or jets? Which is better Vance, Whiting, or Corpus Christi? Does everyone at Vance get jets? How can I succeed at API?................just kidding

Welcome to the last 4 years of AW. :D

Brett