• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Eyesight. What's the story?

thoughtpolice

I am posting this not because I haven't taken the time to look for it myself, but because I have found conflicting, old, or vague answers.
I have learned, through a short phone call with a recruiter (who I will be speaking with at length on Tuesday), that PRK eye surgery is waiverable for aviation. What I didn't find out, though, is if there is a limit for pre-surgery visual acuity that will restrict the ability to get a waiver. Is this the case, and if so, what are these limits? I saw an older article that mentioned correctable to 20/40, but it looks like the article was authored while the study on PRK was still underway, so I'm hoping things have changed...
I'm a recent college grad, but no ROTC or military-specific experience. Ready for training in every way, but possibly vision.
I really want to attend and dominate OCS and proceed as a SNA, eventually aiming for the strike pipeline.
Thanks in advance for your help
Cory

Calculon

It's Calculon! Hit the deck!
According to the NAMI Ophthalmology waiver standards, for aviation applicants the pre-PRK limit is not related to visual acuity, but by your eye's refraction...

In this case:
-8.00 to +3.00 spherical equivalent and 3.00 diopters of cylinder

Anisometropia (difference between refraction in both eyes) should not exceed 3.50 diopters using spherical equivalent

This can be found under the Ophthalmology section of the Aeromedical Reference and Waiver guide:
http://www.med.navy.mil/sites/navme...Pages/AeromedicalReferenceandWaiverGuide.aspx

thoughtpolice

I am -2.25 in both eyes and now I'm pumped!
I actually have that PDF file that you refer to, but I have looked at so many different sources over the past couple days that it's blurred together
Thanks for the backup man