• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-105 vs. SAM

FastMover

NFO
None
Pretty amazing picture series of pictures. It must have been incredibly difficult for these guys to go back up day after day while seeing these things coming up at them.

Attachments

• thunderchief-007b.jpg
    thunderchief-007b.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 229
  • thunderchief-008b.jpg
    thunderchief-008b.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 233
  • thunderchief-009b.jpg
    thunderchief-009b.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 223
  • thunderchief-010b.jpg
    thunderchief-010b.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 207

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
It chronicles the F-105's Wild Weasel mission ....as well as videos of SEAD/DEAD missions.
GREAT link, Tex ... thanks. But a minor point ... it WAS "Wild Weasel" and "Ironhand" in the "old" days .... and many of the "Weasels" were F-4's as well ..... the Navy used the term "Iron Hand" almost exclusively.

The terms SEAD/DEAD had not yet been coined. I don't even like the SOUND of "DEAD" ... :)

ironhandtb3.jpg

Tex_Hill

Airborne All the Way!!!
I know. Being a young pup I've gotten used to using the modern terminology. Just give it a few more years & some guy sitting behind a desk in Washington will try & justify his job by coming up for another term for the same mission(s). ;)

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What doesn't kill you....

Pretty amazing picture series of pictures. It must have been incredibly difficult for these guys to go back up day after day while seeing these things coming up at them.

What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger.....they were worried about the SA-2. Desert Storm IADS featured plenty of those as well as Soviet designed SA-3, SA-6, SA-8, SA-9, SA-13 and ZSU-23-4P in addition to French made Roland and captured US made IHAWK SAMs.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Appologies to everyone. I went into way too much detail, and crossed the line as to what is appropriate for posting in this forum. I should have realized that I was getting into no-no stuff, despite reassurances from people (not from here) that things were all open-source and no issue to talk about. It will not happen again. Thanks to those who pointed it out, and special thanks to Skidkid for getting to my post before me.

A good lesson for everyone, I guess: If you fuck up, admit you did, and don't let it happen again. It could just be me, but that's part of what being an adult is all about.

FA-18 Mousse

Reserve Hornet Bubba
pilot
GREAT link, Tex ... thanks. But a minor point ... it WAS "Wild Weasel" and "Ironhand" in the "old" days .... and many of the "Weasels" were F-4's as well ..... the Navy used the term "Iron Hand" almost exclusively.

The terms SEAD/DEAD had not yet been coined. I don't even like the SOUND of "DEAD" ... :)

ironhandtb3.jpg

A4s-
While I agree that I don't like "DEAD" either, the Gay Force actually pronounces it "deed".....go figure, eh? They always claim it takes a bit of the sting off the spelling.
Magnum, Magnum :eek:

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor

Given that AAA also often accompanied SAM launches, and much more importantly, SAM's were usually launched in pairs –

I always wondered how anyone could take a picture of "a" SAM, when you just had to know there are probably 1 to 3 more 'cousins' racing by somewhere close, just out of the picture. And it was always the SAM you didn't see that got you, not the one you saw. :eek:

Awesome pictures. But you would never catch me taking any like that, thank you very much. :)

PS: The Iron Hand guys were the most popular people within the airwing, and with great justification.