• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-15 Crash

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
TOKYO, Japan (AP) -- The U.S. military says a pilot ejected safely from a U.S. F-15 fighter jet that crashed near Okinawa island on Tuesday morning.

The plane went down around 0100 GMT Tuesday ( 8 p.m. ET Monday) off the coast of Ikeijima island, part of the Okinawa island chain, according to Noriaki Hatake, an official at the Naha Defense Facilities Administration in Okinawa.

Hatake said the cause of the crash was unknown. The U.S. Kadena Air Base said the pilot ejected safely from the plane and was rescued. He was in good condition.

Okinawa is about 1,000 kilometers (660 miles) south of Tokyo.

eye_malfunction

Yes, glad to hear he was okay. I wish military aviation wasn't so risky but I guess that's what makes military aviators heros. Sorry for the corny line.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
eye_malfunction said:
Yes, glad to hear he was okay. I wish military aviation wasn't so risky but I guess that's what makes military aviators heros. Sorry for the corny line.
Military + Aviation... hmm, risks, no, couldn't be. :D

Just joshing ya! Happy Posting! Corny lines make America great.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
eye_malfunction said:
Ejecting from a bad jet doesn't make you a hero.

Brett

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Concur with Brett....ejecting can actually can make you a goat on the hero-sh!thead rollercoaster....if you gooned it and punched out of a recoverable jet.

Lawman

None
Schnugg said:
Concur with Brett....ejecting can actually can make you a goat on the hero-sh!thead rollercoaster....if you gooned it and punched out of a recoverable jet.

Had an assistant scout leader who was the CO for the Springfield ANG Unit and knew Scott O'grady from his days as an active duty F-16 driver..... he had some interesting things to say about that "Hero."

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Lawman said:
Had an assistant scout leader who was the CO for the Springfield ANG Unit and knew Scott O'grady from his days as an active duty F-16 driver..... he had some interesting things to say about that "Hero."
Yeah, his reputation among aviators is very different from that portrayed in the media. He got rescued in spite of his actions on the ground, not because of them.

Brett

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
Brett327 said:
Yeah, his reputation among aviators is very different from that portrayed in the media. He got rescued in spite of his actions on the ground, not because of them.

Brett

Ah, the inside stories. Any place to read up on his actions?

xmid

pilot
Contributor
I read somewhere that he turned off his SAM alert siren (or whatever you call it) because it was going off so much. I think it was in "Eye of the Viper."

If I shouldn't have said that Moderators please delete that. However, I did read it in a book so I would think it is public information. If anyone can comment, is there any truth to this?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Unfortunately, many of the details aren't appropriate for this forum. I will say this, running toward your rescuers with a drawn pistol is a good way to get shot. This was briefly covered in one of the Discovery Channel shows and he kind of laughed it off - nice going.

Brett

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wanna know the whole story? Just go to SERE. They covered it in full when I went in 2000.