• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-35 Uav

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/08/15/AR2006081501288.html

Lockheed Says F-35 Could Fly Pilotless
Pentagon Demand for Drones Grows

By Renae Merle
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, August 16, 2006; Page D01

Lockheed Martin Corp. has proposed an unmanned version of its Joint Strike Fighter, the F-35, which would make it the first full-scale fighter to operate without a pilot and signal the Bethesda weapons maker's push into the growing market for drone aircraft.

The idea has been in the works for two years, Lockheed Vice President Frank Mauro said at a briefing yesterday. He provided few details but said the plane could be built as an interchangeable hybrid -- manned by a pilot for some missions and operated remotely for others.

The Joint Strike Fighter, funded with help from several other countries, is meant to replace the F-16 as the workhorse fighter of the United States and its close allies. Less powerful than the F-22 Raptor that Lockheed developed to give the United States an advantage in air combat, the Joint Strike Fighter is still designed to travel at supersonic speed and carry up to 15,000 pounds of bombs and missiles.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
That makes utterly no sense. It's overbudget already..... so let's make it even more expensive by making it a UAV. Lockheed's grasping at straws (or buzzwords).

Shakey

I'm talkin, G-5...!
pilot
Good post, interesting. But I still like manned fighters a lot better. At this point, I'd have to agree with mmx1. Would make it even more overbudget, but wouldn't get much more capability out of the airframe.

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
I personally hate the idea of an all unmanned fleet... However as for capability gain. Without a pilot there is a ton of extra fuel that can be stored (weight savings plus the space if they made the removal permanant and used the pilot space for fuel storage). Plus not having a pilot means longer sorties (now with the added fuel).

Again, not defending it, I think its stupid. But those are the points that can be/will be made.

BigRed389

None
I don't think it's useless. I doubt that that R&D money would be budgeted into the JSF program. Probably unsolicited research, which means Lockheed is footing the bill.

It seems to me that they're gambling that by offering an unmanned "option" on the JSF, the DoD would stick to the previously projected numbers for the JSF buy. According to the article they're worried that down the line, the JSF buy will get axed as UAV technology improves. OK, they've sealed the deal on what's already being called the last manned fighters that will ever be flown in the F-22 and F-35.

If they can come up with a cheap conversion kit, hopefully, down the line, if/when the DoD decides to scrap the manned fighter concept, they'll have this option ready to go. Even better, the DoD will also have plenty of F-35 airframes sitting around ready for what will likely be cheaper upgrades(relative to new UCAVs). And I imagine that having a pre-existing flight control software would make researching an unmanned version easier than for a brand new project.

This way they might even corner the market for unmanned combat vehicles as well.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-45 (Boeing-former JSF contender
)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Hawk (Northrop Grumman-former ATF(YF-23) contender)

See, the other big players in manned fighters already lost, acknowledged defeat, and moved on to unmanned vehicles. I think Lockheed is just seizing on what they see as an opportunity to corner the unmanned market as well.

Pretty ####ing smart, if you ask me.

Or at least...that's just my very uneducated, useless analysis of the situation.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
The problem is, putting a human in there negates most of the advantages of a UCAV. You now have to put in survivability elements that jack up the weight and price.

The whole point of UCAV's was that if you designed them from the ground up to not include a pilot, they could be cheaper and lighter than a comparable fighter. Start with a manned fighter, and you defeat the whole point.

Methinks they've been watching too much Stealth at lockheed. (Which I just watched with Annapolis in one sitting....ugh)

BigRed389

None
Like I said, it just seems like a pretty smart investment for Lockheed.

If it works out, they get to offer a pretty converison package down the road.

If it doesn't work out, they get institutional experience in developing unmanned technology...which it seems they'll have to get if they want to stay in the military aerospace business.

As for unmanned aircraft being cheaper...if this works out I would expect that a conversion could be cheaper than a UCAV project going from the ground up.

winger

FNG
Unmanned drone versions of manned fighter a/c aren't new.

http://www.airshots.com/USAF QF-4/USAF QF-4EG.htm

The QF-4 is fully capable of Combat Air Manoeuvring with or without a pilot. Missions can be fully automated from take off to landing, including 4g barrel rolls and 6g slices. The aircraft is of course also fully supersonic. Formations of up to 4 can be flown unmanned, relying on GPS systems to maintain spacing. The ability to fly with a pilot is used to programme mission profiles, maintain currency and for some limited DACT missions, for example at "William Tell" competitions.

Here are a bunch of good pictures of different fighter a/c drone conversions. While the possibility of unmanned employment obviously exists, it is, as mentioned above, not feasible on large scales. Almost every aspect of a manned fighter is designed with the human element in mind; from how it bears g-load (strongest in the z axis), to canopy placement (visibility), to systems (life support, HUD, displays, etc) The F-35 will, however, share the air with derivatives of the X-45, or similar UCAV system. I would venture to say that 99% of F35 sorties will be flown by meatbags such as us... however, we might be flying wing off of MAJ Johnny 5, USMC. I have also seen scenarios, mostly centered around the F-22 at present, where the UCAV functions as a flying missile rack, flying in spread with the manned lead, acquiring and engaging targets on command from the human aviator. Or pilot.