• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

f 35 video

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
A jounalist makes his claims why the F-35 will rule the sky. http://dailycaller.com/2012/07/12/top-five-reasons-the-f-35-will-rule-the-sky

Not sure about reason number 4. http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?109507-JSF-Helmet-Mounted-Display-Revealed
The helmet may be very capable but it looks like a prop from a made-for-tv Sci Fi movie.

I am curious about number 5. Is the Lightning II more manueverable than the F-22 or wht ever weird science expiriement the Russians are flying this week? I realize the inherent benefits to stealth, great sensors and firing BVR. But is it as capable in the close-in knife fight?
Not expecting and answer because it's gonna be classified, but the author got me thinking.

RadicalDude

Social Justice Warlord
I am curious about number 5. Is the Lightning II more manueverable than the F-22 or wht ever weird science expiriement the Russians are flying this week? I realize the inherent benefits to stealth, great sensors and firing BVR. But is it as capable in the close-in knife fight?
Not expecting and answer because it's gonna be classified, but the author got me thinking.

Two words: wing loading.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I see them flying around Pax every day, wobbling around the pattern like an old lady on Rollerblades, chase Hornet tucked alongside.

I'll believe the program's on track when I see a flight of four come zorching into the break and snap it off at the numbers like it ain't even a thing. When they're more worried about looking awesome than crashing, it's a real Navy airplane.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
So what you're saying is the F-35 isn't going to be on the Advanced selection sheet for a while.

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
So what you're saying is the F-35 isn't going to be on the Advanced selection sheet for a while.

Who knows...for F/A-18 guys headed to their first shore tour, F-35 RAG IP is an option...even though they don't have any jets yet. What I want to know is if Navy F-35 instructors will be able to get qual'ed in the B. That would make for a pretty enticing tour.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Just looking at the numbers made me wonder. Assuming an IOC of 2015, I thought that guys just checking into the jet VTs might have a shot.

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
There was a guy from VX-23 flying with my squadron yesterday, and one of our guys who's getting ready to leave asked him if he had any idea about when VFA-101 might be getting jets. He didn't, so it's probably safe to say very few do. If it's still taking a year to get through the jet VTs, maybe there's a chance.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Good to hear. I'm 2 for 2 on new airframes (60S, T6B). Maybe my luck will hold out...unless it's time to pay the piper and I get the oldest thing out there :)

RadicalDude

Social Justice Warlord
A high lot Rhino with AESA and new software is pretty freakin new. We still take delivery of them form Boeing. New plane smell, spotless wheel-wells, the whole nine yards.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
I'm still a long way away from even thinking about choices, but the two seat Rhino has always been my dream ride.

PhrogLoop

Adulting is hard
pilot
As a guy who delivered one legacy aircraft to the NA Museum in one tour and took delivery of new aircraft from the factory in the next, I can say that both are great experiences. By that, I mean having the opportunity to enjoy the pluses and minuses of flying old and new aircraft in general. For instance, there is a great comaraderie among pilots/nfos/AWs/mechs in a legacy squadron for having "survived" the lean days of retiring an old bird. There's also a kind of cred by association with the old guard, even if you were only around long enough to graduate your CAT 1 syllabus, score a HAC/PIC designation, and retread. Minuses of such a tour include not enough money for toilet paper, and a general feeling of invisibility once the new aircraft and people start showing up. I think the benefits of taking delivery from the factory speaks for itself. But some of the drawbacks aren't so obvious. For instance, I was part of the T-6A cadre at Vance AFB and even the best of us ate crow for blown tires and tail scrapes. Thankfully, there was some tolerance for those kind of shenanigans for a short window of time. On the MH-60S side, I've noticed that even now (transition + 8 years), our maintainers come from literally every community in the navy and need lots of time to get comfortable with the Sierra's (and HSC's) quirks. Not sure why that's the case or if other communities experienced the same thing.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
I remember the 46/60 transition in 2003...a lot of the maintenance experience existed on the Aircrew side of the house. I think at one point about 80% of the squadron CDI's and above were crewman. Since they had a -46 NEC, some guys spent their entire careers working on the -46. As we transitioned to the -60, and moved all of the crewman out of the MX shops, we lost a lot of that lasting experience. For some reason, the Navy doesn't require maintainers to stick with a platform for their whole career.