• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-4 Phantom ?

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
How did US Navy and USMC F-4 Phantoms refuel? I'm assuming probe/drogue but the only pics of refueling I have ever seen involving Phantoms were Air Force Phantoms using the boom.

B

Blutonski816

I don't have photos on hand, but yes it was probe/drouge.

AAR12_F-4_PJM.jpg

Grant

Is the Navy still flying QF-4's as target drones? Or have they all been shot and blown to hell already?

airgreg

low bypass axial-flow turbofan with AB driver
pilot
Grant said:
Is the Navy still flying QF-4's as target drones? Or have they all been shot and blown to hell already?
As of early 2004, there were some QF-4's at an OLF at Eglin AFB. At the time, my understanding was that they still shoot them down.

airgreg said:
As of early 2004, there were some QF-4's at an OLF at Eglin AFB. At the time, my understanding was that they still shoot them down.

I was at Tyndall AFB a few months ago...they had a flight line full of QF-4's.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
My uncle used to fly F-4s for the Air Force and later the Guard. In fact he retired the last F-4 from frontline service. Anyway, I asked him the same question a while back and he said that the Air Force Phantoms refueled off of the boom and he commented that it was one of the hardest things to do because the receiver hole was right behind the canopy and there was a huge blindspot there due to the GIB.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Navy still had them(at least as of last year) at NAS Pt Mugu. had an Ops O that did a tour there flying them.

Brett

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Would have LOVED to do that . . . but they're getting rid of the last of them. They had an article in Navy Times awhile back.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
After a PT Mugu air show crash about 2 or 3 years ago they decided to get rid of them. I am not sure if they have yet or not but those slots for pilots and NFO's are closed.