• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F/A-18C crash at RDU I saw it-pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

SemperFitz

Expert in Nameology
quick background, I'm a Marine Aviation Officer Candidate, went to PLC-C last summer. Now that I'm back at school (NC State) I'm back to my job as supervisor of airline operations for a fuel vendor at RDU Airport (Raleigh/Durham International).

On Friday, situation normal, except there are two F/A-18's at our competitors ramp. They are from VFA 15 at Oceana, and getting ready for take-off.

I am at gate A23 watching the take-off...they are taking off Runway 23L. My vantage point is front and center-AC should start roll at my 10 o'clock and lift off at 12 o'clock and depart to my 3 o'clock. First A/C no problems, awesome take-off, good show.

Here is where it gets interesting. I'm watching the second F/A-18 start his roll, full power and I notice a lot of dirt is flying out behind the AC. I'm thinking that he must be close to the runway edge to blow up that kind of dirt. As he keeps rolling, I notice that the AC must have at least one wheel off the runway, then I realize that he is bouncing a LOT...AC appears to be completely off the runway at this point.

Here is my take (keep in mind witness testimony is sketchy and I am in no way guessing as to what occured, I am just giving my viewpoint...what I saw...NTSB and navy are out in full force investigating, I'm sure they will figure it out)

So, AC is off runway and rolls hard left about the longitudinal axis. At this point in my head I am still thinking it is just a crazy take-off, that will probably result in a fender bender, nothing major. Well, the pilot at this point ejects! I see him go up and see a good chute, look back at AC. It still seems to be at a high throttle setting and continuing down off the left side of the runway. I'm thinking "Oh ****!!" there are commercial planes full of people and a terminal! A/C starts to turn right towards the planes and terminal when it catches the ground. (this is a VERY loose guess, but I think it is going somewhere at 200-300 mph now) A/C rolls multiple times, crosses the runway, crosses the taxiway (by now it is a ball of fire shedding pieces) and plants just past the terminal, but before a two island 4 hose Jet-A fuel depot. It narrowly misses one of my company fuel trucks complete with fueler (about 15 feet to spare) some burned scratches on truck prove it. My fueler in this truck and an airport authority car both have to drive out of this fiery debris field, the car had wreckage on and inside it. Those two guys are lucky!

I look back and see pilot has landed on the ground. Me and another sup. take off running for him. When we reach him, he is on the runway, about 10 feet from the left edge of the runway. He is moving and making noise. At this point Crash/Fire/Rescue personel reach him, and we back off. (btw, he went to local hospital for observation-minor injuries, rumors of a broken arm)

All the fire trucks are now heading to the site of the crash, the fire is huge! Apparently fuel is burning and rolling downhill, catching all the grass in the area on fire. For the next 2 hours, all the CFR trucks, plus local departments battle it.

Things I noticed:
-It freaked me out seeing this, I remember hearing no noises and it all happened in the span of about 10 seconds.
-The NACES seat worked well, he ejected at an angle, and I remember thinking in my head how cool it was the seat went from an angle to straight up.
-The canopy was laying next to the pilot on the runway (about 10-15 feet away). Guessing by the hole in it, he went out through it.
-Watching an F/A-18 unmanned is terrifying, ya have no idea where that puppy is gonna go!
-F/A-18's are robost! It tumbled many times on fire and ended up finally on it's wheels and relatively intact. Notice how the major surfaces are still intact...the largest part near the actual impact sight was the cannon and a big chunk of the fuselage with it. All the surfaces seem to have been composite and melted off more than ripped off.

All in all, it went as well as it could have, pilot minor injuries, and the ac didn't hit any of the dozens of objects that would have made this a truly horrible catastrophy-I had visions of it ripping into the Delta 737 that was full of people waiting to take off. It landed in the one clearing we have in that area of the airport, the nearest structure is an uninhabited operations building. The fire came to within 10 feet of the fuel farm, but CFR did wonders keeping it under control.

The pilots name and information is out at this point, but if you want that info, you can look it up. I just wanted to let everyone know about the most amazing thing that I have ever witnessed. It was awesome and horrifying at the same time, and I'm glad that things didn't get worse than they did.

ps-the AC if facing approx 170 degrees from intended heading...he is pointing almost back the way he came from. Notice also how close it is to the commercial ramp, 300 feet?, it missed a BAE146 and a 737 on his way to that resting place

Attachments

• 2-small.jpg
    2-small.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 427
  • closeup-small.JPG
    closeup-small.JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 398
  • from aft-small.jpg
    from aft-small.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 393

NeoCortex

Castle Law for all States!!!
pilot
Navy jet crashes in eastern Tennessee

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

SPRING CITY, Tenn. -- A Navy F-18 fighter jet on a training mission crashed Monday, but the pilot ejected and was taken to a hospital, authorities said. The pilot's condition was not immediately disclosed.

The one-seat plane, based at the Naval Air Station Atlanta, went down about 11 a.m. and hit some trees about 30 miles north of Chattanooga, the Navy said. No one on the ground was injured.

Brenda Dodson, a witness, said the jet had been "swerving back and forth" as it flew with another aircraft.

An F-18 crashed during takeoff Friday in North Carolina. The pilot suffered minor injuries. The cause was under investigation.

KBayDog

Pilot, radio officer fished from ocean off San Diego coast

POINT LOMA – A U.S. Navy jet crashed off the San Diego coast on Monday and the two men aboard were fished from the ocean safely after ejecting and parachuting to safety.

The jet, an F-14 Tomcat, went down about three miles off Point Loma shortly after 11 a.m., according to Steve Fiebing, public affairs officer for North Island Naval Air Station.

The jet had been performing flight operations with a carrier off the coast.

A Navy boat was in the area and rescued the pilots, San Diego lifeguards said.

The men, described by the Navy as a pilot and a radio intercept officer were taken to a hospital at the base in Coronado, Fiebing said. He had no information on their conditions.

The U.S. Coast Guard, San Diego lifeguards and the U.S. Navy have dispatched rescue vessels to investigate the incident.

Some pieces of debris from the crash site was recovered by Navy ships in the area.

Non-rescue and military vessels only are being allowed within one mile of the incident, a lifeguard said.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Best part of all this are the aircrew are okay. The Hornet pilots ride must have been something else. Having expericenced a crash first hand, it's not fun stuff.

H20man

Drill baby drill!
about a year ago my dad was in charge of qualifiing ships for deployment and he was out on the carrier during its quals.

He told me after an F-14 launched the pilot went into a steep climb, and lost orientation(it was overcast), and he ejected.

My dad and the captain were watching and saw the chutes deploy and didnt realize at first what was happening, but about after a second of seeing the chutes they realized the jet was gonna be coming back down.

It tanked really close to the side of the carrier, less than 500ft, but really close.

yeah that is some crazy stuff.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
And here comes one hell of a story....any chance of getting that audio from it? (none of P2-04 have heard it yet)

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
kmac said:
And here comes one hell of a story....any chance of getting that audio from it? (none of P2-04 have heard it yet)

I have to find it actually. I've got it here somewhere and will bring it in after FCLP's in P-cola. Anyway, shouldn't you be studying instead of wasting time on the internet? That's for O-4's with no job or life. Afterall, you only got a 98 or 99 on your last test. Go study :icon_tong

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Look at the third picture. One engine looks like it was at MRT (burner?) and the other at idle. I'm sure the board will figure it out.

Dave

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
And nice ORM video by the way.... I think that's the longest I've heard you speak without dropping the F-bomb. Oh well, I've spent a total of 2 hours working today so I better go get some studying done; I'm starting to feel like an O-4.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
kmac said:
And nice ORM video by the way.... I think that's the longest I've heard you speak without dropping the F-bomb. Oh well, I've spent a total of 2 hours working today so I better go get some studying done; I'm starting to feel like an O-4.

You have no idea how hard that was not to drop the f bomb during that interview. Did you notice the C-2 behind me? Actually it was hard to see because my head is so damn big.

Status
Not open for further replies.