• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F/A-18D question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grant

Do VMFA (AW) squadrons, flying F/A-18D's, ever deploy as part of CVW's? I looked around, and the only VMFA's that I can find that have deployed as part of a CVW have been flying F/A-18A or C models. If not, do the Deltas regularly trap on carriers, to keep their quals up to date? Thanks yall.

Grant

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No on the first question, VMFA (AW) squadorns do not deploy to the boat. I would imagine no fo rthe second. I was in a land absed Prowler squadorn and we never went to the boat, it would have been a waste of time and money.

Clux4

Banned
Patmack18 said:
The Navy is going to start implementing USMC hornet squadrons into the Air Wing on Deployments... soon if not already. But to comment on the above question, one of my roommates is a retired LtCol, prior CO of a USMC Hornet squadron, in 26 years he said he only has 30 or so boat traps.

What did you mean by Air Wing? Do you mean USMC Hornets and Navy Aricrafts alongside each other on deployments?

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
It's not unheard of for Marine F/A-18Cs to go on the boat, though my understanding is that it's not common.

Marine SNAs are required to pass carrier quals in Advanced and at the RAG regardless, no?

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
TurnandBurn55 said:
It's not unheard of for Marine F/A-18Cs to go on the boat, though my understanding is that it's not common.

Marine SNAs are required to pass carrier quals in Advanced and at the RAG regardless, no?

Currently, I think just about every single C squadron is attached to a CVW. Marine C's go to the boat quite often. Only one A+ squadron doesn't (not counting reserves) b/c their birds are trapped out.

/pretty sure thats correct, but my mind is filled with landing pattern stuff at the moment

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I know C guys go to the boat, not sure on D guys. I think they qual (can't remember what a D guy I know told me about that). They don't get much experience, that's for sure.

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
D's don't go to the boat. Based on the max trap weight of the F/A-18 C/D, a D empty weight precludes it from having enough gas to trap. Basically, a D would be so low on gas that that every pass would have to be hawked by a tanker and if they boltered, they would have to get gas from the tanker.

That is why we now have F's.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Currently, I think just about every single C squadron is attached to a CVW. Marine C's go to the boat quite often. Only one A+ squadron doesn't (not counting reserves) b/c their birds are trapped out.

Only 4 of the 10 Air Wings have a single Marine VMFA squadron. The future plan is to have 1 VMFA squadorn to each Air Wing in the next few years due to the contraction of Marine and Navy Tacair. There are quite a few C squadorns that are not on the boat, there were 3, including the permanent squadron there, I think it was VMFA-212.

Grant

SteveG75 said:
D's don't go to the boat. Based on the max trap weight of the F/A-18 C/D, a D empty weight precludes it from having enough gas to trap. Basically, a D would be so low on gas that that every pass would have to be hawked by a tanker and if they boltered, they would have to get gas from the tanker.

That is why we now have F's.

Well, I've seen plenty of pics of Deltas from the Navy FRS's on the boat for quals (see below), so fuel and max trap weight cant be that big of issue in those instances. I was just curious if the Marine 2-seaters ever went to the boat... but from what everyones said so far, apparently they dont.

Thanks guys. :)

VFA106HornetDeltacarriertrap.jpg

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
pretty sure that is a B, it is what they use for training at the navy rags. none of the heavy gear and stuff that is in the D

Clux4

Banned
The tail will tell you weather or not it is a B or a D. There is also a door on starboard that should be abscent on deltas.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
Grant said:
Well, I've seen plenty of pics of Deltas from the Navy FRS's on the boat for quals (see below), so fuel and max trap weight cant be that big of issue in those instances. I was just curious if the Marine 2-seaters ever went to the boat... but from what everyones said so far, apparently they dont.

Thanks guys. :)

VFA106HornetDeltacarriertrap.jpg

But the ones in FRS wont be hauling back expensive precision guided weapons....

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
VetteMuscle427 said:
But the ones in FRS wont be hauling back expensive precision guided weapons....

what?
like the drop tank?
that plane is unarmed brotha.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
squeeze said:
what?
like the drop tank?
that plane is unarmed brotha.

No..... that was in reference to a combat loaded F-18D. You might be able to land one from an FRS w/ enogh fuel, but not one w/ 8,000lbs of uber-expensive precision weapons. I remember reading that an F-14 with 6 AIM-54s was over the max bringback weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.