• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F/A-18E/F vs F-22A

Status
Not open for further replies.

alwyn2nd

Is there any category that a Super Hornet can out perform the Raptor? Or is the Raptor that much better than the Navy's best fleet aircraft? The F-15 & F-16s are being smoked by the Raptor in Red Flag.

Does the F/A-18E have vector trust, stealth technology or super cruise capability? Maybe the Navy should have kept the F-14D.

It appears the Navy is going backwards in performance and capability of their top of the line fighter. It's too bad in having the 2nd best fighter in the game.

pennst8

Next guy to ask about thumbdrives gets shot.
Contributor
You owe everyone on the forum a beer for starting this thread. Of course you're probably underage... so maybe you could just go sit in the corner for awhile... troll.

Oh and for the record - I know one category the Super Hornet wins in hands down... carrier takeoffs and landings.

othromas

AEDO livin’ the dream
pilot
Why do you do things like this to yourself? I think I know what it is--you need to take a deep breath, exhale, and finally admit to yourself how fucking gay you really are. Christ in a rowboat.

snake020

Contributor
Does the F/A-18E have vector trust, stealth technology or super cruise capability? Maybe the Navy should have kept the F-14D.

It appears the Navy is going backwards in performance and capability of their top of the line fighter.

I'm sure the F4U Corsair was an easier and cheaper plane to do maintenance on, the Navy never should have gotten those damn hard to maintain jet aircraft.

Renegade One

None
Guess I'm too new to the forum to understand all of the happy-slappy comments above. But, in the interests of some serious discourse, I'll wade in with my two cents.
As a long-time Tomcat guy, I can attest that the Tomcat had none of what you asked about...stealth, vectored thrust or super cruise. The new fighters in building to replace the F/A-18 A and C models, (and the Harrier), the F-35 "Lightning II" B (STOVL) and C (CV) models will both have stealth and supersonic speed.
I've never been comfortable with pure "knife fight in a phone booth" maneuvering comparisons, as they just aren't especially relevant. They're not IRRELEVANT, but to get to the phone booth you had to fly through at least two or three perfectly good missile launch windows. A well-flown F-16 could always out-maneuver an equally well-flown Tomcat, but make no mistake about which one I'd want to fly into combat. The Tomcat was a "weapon system" second to none in its day. That day has passed. Onward and upward. If you ever find yourself in a knife fight, just make sure you've taken the "equally well-flown" part out of the equation. Be better than the other guy...but don't fly through too many launch opportunities to prove it to yourself.

All the best, Spike

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
With that insightful comment, thread is closed. This topic has been beat to DEATH here and elsewhere (use AW search or Google). I doubt anything new can be said nor does it add to richness of dialogue on AW).

Status
Not open for further replies.