• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F models for VFA-81???

badger16

None
I read in a magazine this weekend that VFA-81 is transitioning to the F model Super Hornet and then going to deploy with CVW-17. Does anyone know if this is true? I thought the "Sunliners" were already in the E model Super Hornet. Any info would be appreciated.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
81 is flying E's right now. They just finished the transition. Not sure if they got their safe for flight yet, but they should have by now. I'll ask about the F thing at work this week.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I read in a magazine this weekend that VFA-81 is transitioning to the F model Super Hornet and then going to deploy with CVW-17. Does anyone know if this is true? I thought the "Sunliners" were already in the E model Super Hornet. Any info would be appreciated.

I've seen several VFA-81 E model Super Hornets taxi by in Nov-Dec timeframe including their striking CAG jet (might even have a picture somewhere of that). Sounds like somebody confused F with E. How about an exact source (ie what magazine?) as any Intel type will tell you magazines are considered "hearsay".

badger16

None
I've seen several VFA-81 E model Super Hornets taxi by in Nov-Dec timeframe including their striking CAG jet (might even have a picture somewhere of that). Sounds like somebody confused F with E. How about an exact source (ie what magazine?) as any Intel type will tell you magazines are considered "hearsay".

It was in the new issue of Combat Aircraft. Usually their stuff seems pretty legit. Like you said though, it could have been a mistake or typo. Thanks for the info guys.

navyao

Yea, I read that too, Combat Aircraft had it. HJ, if you've got a pic of their CAG jet please post.