• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F9F Cougars

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
I think the swept wing Cougar would have acquitted itself quite well against the Mig-15 had it made it to Korea in time.... The Ford Skyray is my fav from the 50's though.

Redux

I think the swept wing Cougar would have acquitted itself quite well against the Mig-15 had it made it to Korea in time.... The Ford Skyray is my fav from the 50's though.

The Fords climbed so well a squadron was once attached to NORAD.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Fords climbed so well a squadron was once attached to NORAD.

Yep, but not so great with landing on the Boat or doing anything but going like stink. Dead sexy airplane, though.

800px-F4D-1_VF-102_CVA-59.jpeg

blackbart22

pilot
Those are the cleanest F-9's that I've ever seen. (Except the one in the Boeing museum) That old centrifugal flow engine left a lot to be desired, though. Took an eternity to spool up.

Junkball

"I believe in ammunition"
pilot
Was landing with the canopy open common back in the day? I know it probably was during WWII, but during the transition to the jet era...?

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Was landing with the canopy open common back in the day? I know it probably was during WWII, but during the transition to the jet era...?

Yep, SOP on all the film and photo's I've seen. Ejection seats were not as reliable nor zero-zero so ditching was an option also no angled decks so a chance you'd end up forward after going through the barricade so open canopy would speed egress.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yes.

IIRC, in the late 60s within the Training Command, while the 2-seat TAF9J usually (but not always) landed with the canopy closed, the single-seat AF9J usually landed with it open.

However, while instructors were allowed (mandated?) to land with the single-seat AF9 canopy open, SNAs were not at my time, for some unknown reason.

Also the ejection seat was far from "zero/zero" and in the 2-seat trainer model, the seats went through the canopy upon ejection. Don't remember about the single seat.

f9formationiq2.jpg

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
That might be the only plane i think looks better in orange and white. I don't know what it is, but the longer canopy cleans up the lines and the orange and white is working for it. Call me crazy.