• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Farnsworth Lantern/FALANT Testing

lionrunner

Hello everyone,

This is my first post and could not find a "First Post Goes Here". So if I am out of my lane, I am sorry and I will go back and do it correctly.

My question is, does anyone know where one can take the Farnsworth Lantern test around Los Angeles or San Diego?

I am almost willing to travel as far as necessary to take the test, but want to know the closest location that definitly has it. I tried to get an appointnment with the FAA and the regional flight surgeon's aid told me that the FAA does not offer it (not sure how true that is). A speedy and accurate information is GREATLY appreciated.

LionRunner

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Hello everyone,

This is my first post and could not find a "First Post Goes Here". So if I am out of my lane, I am sorry and I will go back and do it correctly.

My question is, does anyone know where one can take the Farnsworth Lantern test around Los Angeles or San Diego?

I am almost willing to travel as far as necessary to take the test, but want to know the closest location that definitly has it. I tried to get an appointnment with the FAA and the regional flight surgeon's aid told me that the FAA does not offer it (not sure how true that is). A speedy and accurate information is GREATLY appreciated.

LionRunner

You can rent it dude. Hard to find as I recall, at civilian eye docs that is. Go to:

http://www.colorblindpilot.com/

lionrunner

I have heard of that site before, but I need an administered test. It is almost impossible to find a doctor (as you mentioned). SO I am thinking about heading up to UC Berkeley. I have seen their name pop up MANY times while researching about color vision.

My situation is I failed both tests at MEPs. The Ishihara I will never past (8/14), but the FALANT I was really nervous for and missed the pass by 1 each time. I am looking to get a consult and feel that if I can pass the FALANT administered by a doctor one more time. The problem is they will not let you back to MEPs.

Also, I know the Naval Air Station in Coronado has one, but is it better to get a private consult or would be just as effective through the Navy? Thanks, and please reply with any ideas thanks.

nugget61

pilot
Also, I know the Naval Air Station in Coronado has one, but is it better to get a private consult or would be just as effective through the Navy? Thanks, and please reply with any ideas thanks.

The only thing I can say about this is that you will have to eventually pass the FLANT when it is administered by the Navy. If for some reason your doc had the conditions incorrect (ie wrong lighting etc) and that was enough for you to pass but when it comes to do it at your flight physical and you can't, you'll be really disappointed.
I'd get it done by the Navy to ensure that you're good.

lionrunner

Thanks for the infor Nugget and bunk. Also, just one more quick question, the MEPs physical lasts two years. If I am still not accepted in two years then I can go through MEPs again and start with a clean slate right?

GO_AV8_DevilDog

Round 2...
Contributor
I don't think it works that way, just because the physical is expired doesn't mean they won't dq you from MEPS when they do your initial Med read.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
That's certainly a valid reason then. Have you tried the So Cal School of Optometry? Would the Navy give you the test?

lionrunner

Thanks for the info Bunk.

I spent all yesterday trying to contact schools (especially Southern California School of Optometry) and the only place I found that has the FALANT is UC Berkeley School of Optometry. The woman there said she has not heard of any locations that have the FALANT anymore, but said schools might (since they are so expensive) UCLA, USC, etc. none of them had it.

How fast does the colorblindpilot.com ship? This is out of curiosity because my application is due soon and I would very much like to pratice before I take these tests. Thanks again for all of your help guys.

Respectfully,
LionRunner

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Thanks for the info Bunk.

I spent all yesterday trying to contact schools (especially Southern California School of Optometry) and the only place I found that has the FALANT is UC Berkeley School of Optometry. The woman there said she has not heard of any locations that have the FALANT anymore, but said schools might (since they are so expensive) UCLA, USC, etc. none of them had it.

How fast does the colorblindpilot.com ship? This is out of curiosity because my application is due soon and I would very much like to pratice before I take these tests. Thanks again for all of your help guys.

Respectfully,
LionRunner

I think somebody has one in P-cola being that someone walked away with the one down here at Whiting when I had my last flight physical :D You should contact them, colorblindpilot that is, and ask them.

lionrunner

So I got my test retaken at a Navy Base by an HM2. The doctor was not allowed to sign off on me due to my civilian status, bu tthe enlisted personnel did. Does this record hold any bearing? I knwo you guys are not necessarily recruiters but wondering what you think.

Also, I have been trying to get a hol dof colorblindpilot.com and the number is wrong and no one has replied back to my email. Thinking they stop doing business, but not sure why the site is still up.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I assume you passed it? Try a search for another company or got to www.jetcareers.com and go into the fourm. There is a forum calleds "Ask a Flight Surgeron" and this topic comes up quite a bit. There is at least one FAA Doc who has a lot on answers.

lionrunner

Yes I passed, I should have wrote that since that was the prime motivation for the post. Also, I should have reread my post for grammatical errors. Very unproffessional, and I will take a look at the link.