• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Father of the Phrog passes......

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Frank Piasecki, the developer of the tandem rotor helicopter, designer of the H-21 'Flying Banana' and the country's first licensed helicopter pilot passed away on Monday. Didn't realize his lie story was so interesting.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/15/business/15piasecki.html?_r=1&ref=business&oref=slogin

http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/california/la-me-piasecki14feb14,1,4062420.story

The Flying Banana, the Phrog's older brother:

800px-Piasecki_H-21B_USAF.jpg

The X-49A Speed Hawk, his latest design:

Piasecki_X-49-3.jpg

MasterBates

I flew in one of the few civilian owned (and flyable) Piasecki's in 1995 or 96.. Was an odd looking bird, but the sound of that radial firing up.. Something else.

I did not realize Mr. Piasecki just died.. Whenever I heard the name in the news I incorrectly thought it was one of his sons.

MasterBates

Mr. Piasecki was the first tandem helo guy who discovered that differential collective pitch, vice tilting both rotors forward was the trick, for those who care to know.

VIZKRIEG

KILL
Whats the status on that Speedhawk? I googled it, but couldn't find much worth reading. It looks awesome though, and the design is very intriguing.

phrogpilot73

Mr. Piasecki was the first tandem helo guy who discovered that differential collective pitch, vice tilting both rotors forward was the trick, for those who care to know.
I already knew that ;)

Piasecki and Sikorsky. Two great Americans who brought us the miracle of helicopter flight... May They Rest In Peace.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
As a fledgling Phrog pilot in the late 80's I had the opportunity to fly a '46 to the Piasecki "factory" (well we landed in the parking lot). "Mr. Pi" greeted my crew and I and gave us a personal tour of the warehouse - which contained artifacts/aircraft from about every phase of rotor craft development from the 1940's on. His son Fred Piasecki was a classmate and friend from college - hence the invite to fly into their facility.... In Essington PA, between the Philly airport and the Boeing plant! Quite a fun time! At the timer the only contract Piasecki Aircraft had was making convection ovens for the P-3.

Mr. Pi was also an avid sponsor and founding figure of the American Helicopter Society. An organization I would highly recommend joining.