• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Feds spying on Solidiers calls

Huggy Bear

pilot
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27107196/

On the one hand, if true, this is very underhanded and demeaning.

On the other, we all know that our government has to do sneaky things to stay ahead of them. How many 9/11s have been prevented by our spies. We only hear about the ones they fail to catch.

At any rate, shame on them for letting this become public knowledge.

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
See, I thought they monitored our phone calls out of OIF anyway. I think it would be naive to think that if they were monitoring our calls, they wouldn't share some of the more private, embarrassing conversations with each other. I figured it was an OPSEC issue. A way to ensure people weren't sharing sensitive info over the phone. I'm not surprised by it at all or upset that it has occurred. Just figured it was the price of doing business.

Huggy Bear

pilot
See, I thought they monitored our phone calls out of OIF anyway. I think it would be naive to think that if they were monitoring our calls, they wouldn't share some of the more private, embarrassing conversations with each other. I figured it was an OPSEC issue. A way to ensure people weren't sharing sensitive info over the phone. I'm not surprised by it at all or upset that it has occurred. Just figured it was the price of doing business.

I always assumed the same when writing or calling off of the ship. They censored mail in WW2, it wouldn't surprise me to learn we've adapted to the times and technology.

Sky-Pig

Retired Cryptologic Warfare / Naval Flight Officer
None

Your probably should be upset, though, as this goes further than an OPSEC check...which are carefully controlled evolutions. The right to privacy is only inferred in the constitution...it's not explicit. So it's worth the effort to protect what we have.

If the allegations are true, this is a violation of multiple US laws/codes put in place to guarantee the privacy of the average AMCIT. More importantly, it shows a lack of oversight and control of our collection efforts...not good. Would the government or the individual misuse this information in a manner that could harm us? I'd rather not bet on it (insert Ben Franklin's qoute about liberty and security).

I agree with the need to monitor if there is a threat...but once it becomes little more than a tittilating game for the listeners...it needs to stop.

There are waiver requests for a reason...to preclude this sort of buffoonery. The hammer needs to dropped on somebody for this action.

TrunkMonkey

Spy Navy
More importantly, it shows a lack of oversight and control of our collection efforts...not good. Would the government or the individual misuse this information in a manner that could harm us? I'd rather not bet on it (insert Ben Franklin's qoute about liberty and security).

But, if they are just monitoring and never pressing "record" on their tape, is this really collection?
Intel Oversight regulations address the issue of collection/use as evidence, not monitoring.

Sky-Pig

None
But, if they are just monitoring and never pressing "record" on their tape, is this really collection?
Intel Oversight regulations address the issue of collection/use as evidence, not monitoring.

Good point, except according to the news reports, they were pressing the record button...then letting everyone else know where to find the juicy bits.

And at this level of classification all I can say is that there are other caveats in the Intel Oversight program that bring other restrictions on this sort of activity, too, if I remember correctly.

GroundPounder

This story is getting quite a bit of play here in Augusta, for the obvious reasons. One of the individuals was actually a free lance writer for the local alternative free newspaper. My question is why, if the indivduals involved were so concerned that what was being done was wrong why did they continue to do it themselves for 4 years, and secondly could they not have addressed this with their chain of command, not ABC news?

Pugs

Back from the range
None
And at this level of classification all I can say is that there are other caveats in the Intel Oversight program that bring other restrictions on this sort of activity, too, if I remember correctly.

DIRNSA Released guidance and no one who knows anything about this business will clear anything up here on Airwarriors nor should the guidance be discussed.

Suggest a mod close.

Sky-Pig

None
DIRNSA Released guidance and no one who knows anything about this business will clear anything up here on Airwarriors nor should the guidance be discussed.

Suggest a mod close.

Hmm...yeah, we're treading a little close to the line. In lieu of locking it down, however, we can take it a slightly different direction...

Let's change the focus from this specific instance and extend it to a discussion of the (inherent?) right to privacy.

This shouldn't cause too many folks to get fired up, now should it?:icon_tong

Huggy Bear

pilot

Suggest a mod close.

Really? I'm not in the military and we are discussing an article from a civilian publication. There have been plenty of threads where I had inside knowledge and I simply didn't participate.

helmet91

contemplating applying again...
If these calls were made from abroad is it reasonable to assume they were made over the military phone system?

If so, have you guys ever noticed the red sticker on every phone in your office talking about consent to monitoring??

Sky-Pig

None
If these calls were made from abroad is it reasonable to assume they were made over the military phone system?

If so, have you guys ever noticed the red sticker on every phone in your office talking about consent to monitoring??

Have we noticed the litle red stickers? Absolutely.

However, according to press reports (again, all we have to go on) these were personal phone calls of military, Red Cross, and other AMCITs.

Therein lies the problem...

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
As referenced earlier, troops were monitored/censored during WW2/Korea/Viet Nam, and they should still be. Some people are too fucking stupid not to talk to "Mary Jane Rottencrotch" about shit they are doing and will be doing. It is too easy to listen in to cell phones/tap into phone lines. If we are listening to these phone calls, the enemy is too...and probably laughing just as much when I have phone sex with my wife...

When we signed up for the military that is part of the sacrifice we agreed to...we have restrictions on our 1st amendment rights now, I can't carry my guns on base, and I sure as hell have a lot less 4th amendment protections living on base. You knw what? I'm happy with that, it's the price of doing business (to use a cliche)

If you don't like it, join the peace corps and cure AIDS in Africa, or do something else...