• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Feedback on Motivation Statement

PuraVida

Hi all-
I was wondering if anyone would be willing to comment on my motivation statement? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I am trying (desperately) to get into Navy Intel--something I have always wanted to do.

I adapt. I believe I do it well; especially in other countries and cultures. I dropped myself in Costa Rica, Taiwan, and Italy for extended periods of time and welcomed the influence of the foreign cultures. This is not a desire to merely travel, but rather to drown myself in a new experience and learn to swim. Every experience, as I have learned, changes the participant, the degree of which is dependent on the person. I am the type that yearns for those changes; those new perspectives; those new challenges that are only available through trial and error far detached from the comfort zone.

However, the ability to adapt and, in some cases, evolve, is dependent on a fundamental core. Without the strength of this core, adaptability becomes a lack of self and the yearning for new experiences becomes a runaway tactic.

The privilege of joining the United States Navy is not a promise of employment, with a paycheck and benefits, nor a grandiose sense of honor, duty and courage. The Navy promises to challenge your core. Through discipline, hard work, and passion, I see the Navy as committing to go deeper than my other experiences that have “changed” me and, instead, found my core. These required traits are not foreign to me. Graduating from Wake Forest University with a concentration major in communication science with a double minor in Spanish and Chinese as a Dean’s list student is a tribute to my work ethic. Along with academics, I have dedicated myself to the campus Rowing team and have seen the results that come from an intense level of physical and psychological commitment. I am an extremely passionate person who embraces hard work and is fundamentally self-driven, as seen through my leadership roles on campus, multiple employments such as a resident advisor, and my passion for foreign cultures and languages as seen through my study abroad experiences. This is all a part of my core.

Some individuals allow the military to create, rather than evolve their core. This is not the case with me. I am confident in and proud of whom I have evolved myself into being. Too often these adjectives are associated with close mindedness and stubbornness. I consider my confidence the catalyst for seeking the life style change the Navy expects and demands. To me, the United States Navy promises a commitment of self to a higher standard of living, being, and participating as a citizen of the United States of America. I’m ready, and yearning, for that challenge.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I adapt. I believe I do it well; especially in other countries and cultures.
The semi-colon should be a comma (semi-colons separate independent clauses without the use of a conjunction).

Stylistically, it is not a good idea to have two short sentences in a row. It makes your statement start off sounding choppy and like a 5 year old said it.

I dropped myself in Costa Rica, Taiwan, and Italy for extended periods of time and welcomed the influence of the foreign cultures. This is not a desire to merely travel, but rather to drown myself in a new experience and learn to swim.
What is "this?" Pronouns need antecedents.

Every experience, as I have learned, changes the participant, the degree of which is dependent on the person. I am the type that yearns for those changes; those new perspectives; those new challenges that are only available through trial and error far detached from the comfort zone.
Again, you are misusing semi-colons and commas. In the first sentence you should re-write it as:

"...changes the participant, and the degree of change is dependent on the person."

OR

"...changes the participant; the degree of change is dependent on the person."

After that, you should be using commas to denote parallelism.

However, the ability to adapt and, in some cases, evolve, is dependent on a fundamental core. Without the strength of this core, adaptability becomes a lack of self and the yearning for new experiences becomes a runaway tactic.
Wth is a "fundamental core?" You have to explain what you mean here.

The privilege of joining the United States Navy is not a promise of employment, with a paycheck and benefits, nor a grandiose sense of honor, duty and courage. The Navy promises to challenge your core. Through discipline, hard work, and passion, I see the Navy as committing to go deeper than my other experiences that have “changed” me and, instead, found my core.
The Navy does not promise to challenge the reader's core. You should be writing this in the first-person where applicable.

Graduating from Wake Forest University with a concentration major in communication science with a double minor in Spanish and Chinese as a Dean’s list student is a tribute to my work ethic.
This sentence doesn't sound right, but I can't pinpoint what's wrong with it.

Along with academics, I have dedicated myself to the campus Rowing team and have seen the results that come from an intense level of physical and psychological commitment. I am an extremely passionate person who embraces hard work and is fundamentally self-driven, as seen through my leadership roles on campus, multiple employments such as a resident advisor, and my passion for foreign cultures and languages as seen through my study abroad experiences. This is all a part of my core.
That's all fine and dandy, but this information is included elsewhere on the application. Instead of listing 4 different extra-curriculars, pick one and explain in more detail how it will help the Navy and those under your command.

I still don't know wtf you are talking about when you keep referencing this "core," other than it includes a bunch of extra-curriculars.

Some individuals allow the military to create, rather than evolve their core. This is not the case with me. I am confident in and proud of whom I have evolved myself into being. Too often these adjectives are associated with close mindedness and stubbornness. I consider my confidence the catalyst for seeking the life style change the Navy expects and demands. To me, the United States Navy promises a commitment of self to a higher standard of living, being, and participating as a citizen of the United States of America. I’m ready, and yearning, for that challenge.
We get it; you're an adaptable person. By now, it's getting very redundant.

PuraVida

Wow. Thank you very much for taking the time and effort to revise that like you did. I really sincerely appreciate it.