• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Final attack cones

Screamtruth

นักมวย
I do remember the final attack cone, but I am curious how the pilot sets up using this. From the grunts perspective, I remember giving about 20 to 30 degrees for the cone (i.e. hdg, IP to target 060, attack cone 070 to 100), but how do you use this airspace when you are IP inbound? If we give an offset, would this limit you in your cone, or would you shift the cone for the offset?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Methinks you're getting close to OPSEC issues there . . .

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor

Nah, that's not OPSEC, from what I can tell anyway. Attack cone distance is nothing but a function of simple geometry. I can't answer his question though because well, we don't attack the target in weps like that... we just use the pattern which isn't very realistic, just gets the job done.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Okay, that's what I get for being paranoid and not through Phase I . . . I'll shut up now.

Screamtruth

นักมวย
Nah, you can google 9 line's on the net. I think you can download the USMC pub that covers it from a FAC's perspective, but it doesn't elaborate on the pilot's side. Guess you have to learn that in the air.

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
Nah, that's not OPSEC, from what I can tell anyway. Attack cone distance is nothing but a function of simple geometry. I can't answer his question though because well, we don't attack the target in weps like that... we just use the pattern which isn't very realistic, just gets the job done.

true, but even in the weps patterns, you still roll in on the attack cone, of course, you have to be doing it right in the first place

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
true, but even in the weps patterns, you still roll in on the attack cone, of course, you have to be doing it right in the first place

Of course, but he was asking about something like CAS or whatnot that I know nothing about. Figured I'd let the guys who've actually done it tackle that one :)

Screamtruth

นักมวย
Of course, but he was asking about something like CAS or whatnot that I know nothing about. Figured I'd let the guys who've actually done it tackle that one :)

Yes, I am asking in respect to CAS. The only explanation I have on the subject was the cone gives the pilot a little room to play with whilst inbound from the IP. Sometimes in the past I had gotten the cone confused with the offset. I got chewed once for not giving an offset and brining the IP track virtually over our heads, which was a no no in the stumps. The coyotes did not like that.:D

phrogpilot73

The Joint CAS pub is easily downloaded off the internet, and since I have some experience in this...

A Final Attack Heading (i.e., line 2) is the most restrictive control measure. All attacking aircraft must fly that specific heading (i.e. 270). If you give them an offset (i.e. Right), that means that when they roll in on the target, they have to be heading 270, but they manuver to position themselves on the right of the IP-target line. If his heading is NOT what was briefed (i.e. 271) he must abort himself.

Final Attack Headings (read in the remarks section) are not as restrictive. General rule of thumb is to provide 30 degrees (240-270) to allow the attacking aircraft the ability to maneuver his aircraft as he sees fit, remain unpredictable, and allow the release of ordnance (as long as his heading is somewhere between the two, he doesn't have to abort himself).

Final Attack Cones are used for laser missions. Semantics, because they initially appear to be the same as headings, however when you say "cone" it means you have completed the laser geometry calculations.

As for what's going on in the aircraft, couldn't tell you to save my life.