• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Fire and Ice - Tales of cockpit environmentals (esp the venerable Phrog)

KBayDog

You'll be pleased to learn your future replacement ride has AC so strong you can make it snow in the cockpit!:)

What, they're installing AC in the Phrogs at Cherry Point?

BTW, is your squadron one of those that took out the heaters on their 46s? Those JP5-powered heaters put out some serious heat on those rare occasions you need them--well the pilots never, the aircrew need it sometimes.

I have seen one - ONE - Phrog heater in my life. It was on a bird at -164, and was inop. Heaters aren't really required on the Left Coast - the crew gets by on "cold" days with long johns and maybe a fleece.

All of our birds are upgraded with the "California Package": Open cabins that allow for unobstructed viewing of the local sights (San Diego, L.A., the beaches, Big Bear, etc.) Having a heater on top cramps our style, and makes it rough when we want to put the top down while we cruise over Santa Monica ;)

KBayDog

One question I've always had: does it get "warmer" in HELO's when you fart in the cockpit??

Inquiring minds ... :)

Yes.

The funny (tragic) thing about the Phrog is that air has a sort of "reverse flow" through the cabin - air/heat/fumes/etc. flow from back to front. Thus, it gets warmer when the crew farts, too.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
What, they're installing AC in the Phrogs at Cherry Point?

I have seen one - ONE - Phrog heater in my life. It was on a bird at -164, and was inop. Heaters aren't really required on the Left Coast - the crew gets by on "cold" days with long johns and maybe a fleece.
;)

Most of ours worked like champs. I was doing DLQs aboard ship and the crew was getting cold, so when we were sitting on spot 2, we fired it up. A few seconds later, the Boss starts shouting at us,"Aircraft on spot 2, shut down, you're on fire!" We slam the ECLs to stop, then realize that we're definitely NOT on fire.

Apparently as we hit the heater, the tower flower said words to the effect of,"Boss, check that out." Boss looks at us on spot 2 on NVGs. When a phrog heater kicks on, it puts out a fair amount of fire out the heater exhaust near the fwd tranny. On goggles that looks like a gd flamethrower, so the boss saw that and spazzed, destroying the deck cycle, btw.