• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Firefighting Osprey

Malo83

Keep the Faith
http://fireaviation.com/2016/02/12/mv-22-osprey-evaluated-for-dropping-water-on-wildfires/
MV-22-dropping.jpg

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator

Pags

N/A
pilot
That. Is. Absurd. The reason for a tilt rotor is speed and range - if you want lift, go with a helicopter. Super Stallion, Chinook, Skycrane, even the Phrog would be better choices regardless of cost - and I doubt if any of them have the same flight hour cost as an Osprey. For example, Erickson's Skycranes are fitted with a 2600 gallon tank.
No one was looking to privately purchase an MV-22, this was so the MV-22 could be used to fill the gap left by the H-46 in the military's MOU with CALFIRE. I'm not familiar with that document but I'm willing to guess that the military is on the hook to provide X airframes and they couldn't hit X without tapping in to the V-22. As with many things V-22, it may not be the best option, but it's the best option we have readily available.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
No one was looking to privately purchase an MV-22, this was so the MV-22 could be used to fill the gap left by the H-46 in the military's MOU with CALFIRE. I'm not familiar with that document but I'm willing to guess that the military is on the hook to provide X airframes and they couldn't hit X without tapping in to the V-22. As with many things V-22, it may not be the best option, but it's the best option we have readily available.

Ding ding ding!

Exactly right. Plus, "Camp Pendleton training range inferno endangers I-5 corridor," is not a headline anyone wants.