• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

First East Coast HSM squadron stands up

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
"HSM-70 consists of 22 officers, 22 chief petty officers and 159 Sailors. When fully operational, the Spartans will be assigned 11 helicopters."

Is this the normal manning for HSM squadrons or will they be expanding?

HeloBubba

SH-2F AW
Contributor
"HSM-70 consists of 22 officers, 22 chief petty officers and 159 Sailors. When fully operational, the Spartans will be assigned 11 helicopters."

Is this the normal manning for HSM squadrons or will they be expanding?

At first glance you would think so. But if this is what HSL is morphing in to, maybe not. 159 divided by 11 = almost 14.5 sailors per aircraft. Seems a reasonable ratio, no? Especially compared to HSL dets from back in the day where we typically sailed with a ratio of 10 sailors to one aircraft. Analysis of Officer and Chief numbers yields similar results.

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
Excuse the dumb question, but I assume HSM-70 will have an air-to-surface warfare primary mission. I've felt for a long time that the Navy was leaving a lot on the table by not having a credible surface attack role for its helos - other navies have successfully armed their navy helos. What I don't understand is why they're aboard one of the world's largest radar reflectors (a CVN). It would seem prudent to put these a/c on small, fast surface warships & employ them in confined waters (Gibraltar, Mulacca, South China Sea, etc.) where the warfare would be intense if it ever breaks out. Just my thoughts FWIW.

MasterBates

HSM deploys to the entire CVBG.

CO/XO/MO/OPS are on the CV with some JOs
Other DHs are on the boats in the battle group with 1-2 helo dets.

Picture taking all the legacy HSL squadron dets in a CVBG, and making them part of the HS squadron. 1 squadron services all boats in the group.

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
HSM deploys to the entire CVBG.

CO/XO/MO/OPS are on the CV with some JOs
Other DHs are on the boats in the battle group with 1-2 helo dets.

Picture taking all the legacy HSL squadron dets in a CVBG, and making them part of the HS squadron. 1 squadron services all boats in the group.

Thanks, MB. That makes sense. I just don't hope to see our CVN's in tight, constricted waters when the air is filled with missiles from all directions.

leveup2

Banned
I'm a retarded Chinese spammer with a bogus profile..

I've been a victim of

banhammer.jpg